Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a long time seine I posted here, long story short my '84 got scrapped.

Picked up this '86 extended cab XLT from a guy on Craigslist
141K miles, A4LD, 2wd.

With my P200 (before I got hit while riding)

Tuned it up

Threw a Sony deck in it (will get pics later) and a set of Schoche speakers (total junk).
Then put a CB and a PA speaker in

Bought a Exploder center consul for it, just gotta put it in and get some new bucket seats.

Not a half bad little truck for $800. The previous owner had a new exhaust put on and its got newer tires.

Plan is to re-do the interior, paint it, and in time put a 5.0 in it (ways down the line).

Fuel pumps went out a while ago, had to ride the Vespa to work but got hit. Finally getting back to normal. Ordered 2 new pumps and 2 new sending units from eBay and they arrived today. Need to put those in, put the heater core in, flush the coolant, and replace the master cylinder reservoir.
Ill try and get some more pics soon

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That first pic so looks like my '86. Same options too like dual tanks,2.9, a4ld. If I remember correctly, there is a low pressure pump in both tanks, and then [in frame] a tank selector/reservoir, then a inline filter, then a high pressure pump that feeds the fuel pump regulator, and finally the fuel rail. Make sure every thing is working upstream before you go to the trouble of pulling the tanks.
Good luck,

Richard
ps; I like the vespa too!

·
Registered
711 Posts
nice truck, WD! you'll have to try to make it to the next ranger / b2 meet & greet. we usually get together about every other month at the Hire's burger joint in taylorsville.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RICO9 said:
nice truck, WD! you'll have to try to make it to the next ranger / b2 meet & greet. we usually get together about every other month at the Hire's burger joint in taylorsville.
Ill try! Still hard for me to get around but I think Ill be back to driving/functioning normally in a few weeks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alwaysFlOoReD said:
That first pic so looks like my '86. Same options too like dual tanks,2.9, a4ld. If I remember correctly, there is a low pressure pump in both tanks, and then [in frame] a tank selector/reservoir, then a inline filter, then a high pressure pump that feeds the fuel pump regulator, and finally the fuel rail. Make sure every thing is working upstream before you go to the trouble of pulling the tanks.
Good luck,

Richard
Thanks for the heads up! I just realized its probably not the ones in the tank because I cant hear the fuel pump click on anymore.
Thanks for the Vespa comment, if I get pics of how it sits now Ill post them, its probably 3" shorter and smashed up now lol

Hunter

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Starting to order the parts for the stereo. Im going to replace the Sony I bought for it a few weeks ago with this
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-6300UB-Receiver-Control-MultiColor/dp/B004CLYOG4/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Then some Polk 6X9's in the rear (I know it takes a 5x9 but me being the idiot I am put 6x9s in there when I put the schoche brand ones in so the holes are already there). Then some 3.5 Infinity's in the dash. Going to Dynamat them as well. Then a amp and a small sub (undecided).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alwaysFlOoReD said:
Good luck,

Richard
You wouldn't happen to remember where that high pressure pump is do you? All I remember seeing last time I was under there was the selector and then the fuel filter.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I may be mis-remembering but if it's there it'll be in the frame rail under your left foot behind a metal bracket. You'll have to unscrew the bracket, I think one screw/bolt on bottom and two on the side. It's very hard to see that there is a fuel pump until you really look. It was there for sure on my '87 so that's why I think it's there for '86.

Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You had the dark blue(?) 1st gen ext cab with the beacon light on the roof didnt you? why did she get scrapped? i loved that truck

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fordzilla said:
You had the dark blue(?) 1st gen ext cab with the beacon light on the roof didnt you? why did she get scrapped? i loved that truck
I had a Blue/white two tone regular cab with no engine or trans. To make a long story short, it wasnt supposed to get scrapped but due to some communication errors it did.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She lives!!
Anyone want to guess what the problem was? Not the fuel pump(s), had plenty of gas.

Also bought a new set of Pioneer speakers for it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
workdog said:
Anyone want to guess what the problem was? Not the fuel pump(s), had plenty of gas.
I need more info [what were the symptoms] before I can guess, there's too many possibilities.

Richard

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had spark, no fuel pressure, had gas, could not hear the pump click on. Died on me, then started again then died out again.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
workdog said:
Had spark, probably not timing as you did no work on it
no fuel pressure, had gas, could not hear the pump click on. Died on me, then started again then died out again.Fuel but no pressure= fuel pressure regulator
no pump click on= relay or =fuse or =roll-over safety device [pass. side floor under rug] or = wiring or =maybe it's not loud enough to hear [too many death metal concerts lol].
So what is it?

Richard

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ArcticOutlaw wins!
There is a 3rd wire coming off the battery terminal and the plug connection was loose/busted. Pluged that back in and she fired right up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pulled the passenger seat out today (reminded me why I love air tools). The PO was a pig. Seats are comming out and being taken to the car wash and maybe the carpet.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts