Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
NOOO. Different size tires on a 4x4 is bad. The transfer case will self destruct. Unlike and AWD vehicle, a part time 4x4 doesnt have a differential between the front and rear drive shafts to allow for different speeds. Unless you regear the front (very precisely might I add) it will not be good.

If you want to get real technical, you shouldn't drive a part time 4x4 on dry pavement with the front locked in either. When you turn, the front and rear need to turn a different speeds. You will hear the tires chirping when you turn.(just like having a spool) If you do it enough you will damage the transfer case and eat up tires.

Dedicated 4x4 pulling trucks and mud trucks often have the fronts geared different than the rear, but... they are also spinning their wheels the whole time and when they arent spinning...they are on a trailer.

Keep the tires the same diameter. End of story.

-PlumCrazy

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
PlumCrazy said:
Dedicated 4x4 pulling trucks and mud trucks often have the fronts geared different than the rear, but... they are also spinning their wheels the whole time and when they arent spinning...they are on a trailer.

-PlumCrazy
What's the theory for this. I've heard of this but why?

·
Registered
559 Posts
alwaysFlOoReD said:
PlumCrazy said:

-PlumCrazy
What's the theory for this. I've heard of this but why?
The theory is the front will "pull" the rear and help you stay pointed in the right direction. I have also heard its to keep the front end from "digging in" on a mud truck.

-PlumCrazy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts