Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st; it's a chev.
I was heading home when my '92 chev 1 ton van decided to run out of fuel. It's on propane and has two tanks, one reading empty, one reading full ??? So I use my cheater hose and add some fuel from a bbq tank to get home. Do some research and find out the "t-connection integral relief valve, twin tank double back check " is stuck so only one tank is getting used. Buy a used one from Ray's Auto in Red Deer 403-343-8894 or 403-341-4860 [ say hi and mention my name ] for a 1/4 of new price and install. This is when it gets interesting. [Remember, I'm not a mechanic, I just play, so be kind. :)]
Totally dead battery ??? This van sat at job for 3 weeks in middle of winter down to -25C and started no problem. So I put in a fully charged battery, reads 12.7 V. Try cranking it, reacts like a dead battery. At the same time I have these other things happening;
headlights come on dim
brake lights on full with no one pressing on brake
turn signals not working; the bulb opposite that's supposed to indicate is going off [dead]
I notice there is a bright blue spark when I disconnect the -ve batt cable with the key off. Thinking there is a short causing current draw, I use a test light between batt -ve and cable and pull fuses. Nothing, no circuit seems to be causing the problem. [I did find and replace 2 burnt fuses 8)]

Sooo, what's the solution :question:
This is a test :exclaim:
[After 4 days I finally figured it out{actually, my friend Don did}]
I'll give the solution after getting a few answers

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
bad alternator?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
lol give me min . ok fist i dont think its the alt cuz he put a fresh batt in to try and start it and it still acted like it was dead. if i would have been there the next thing i would have done is look to see if the motor froze (freeze plugs popped or something) cuz that would keep the starter from turning over. next why would the neg- cable spark im guessing the key was on and the pos+ was already hooked up (which it should be hooked up first)but you say it was off(just reread that lol). so i want to say someone hooked up the batt cables wrong. the first batt was dead so you pulled it out not really looking at the cables or what one there are hooked up to( would not be the first time someone used two black or two red cables or hooked them up to the wrong [place) but is it right hmmmmmm.

from what im thinking it was a batt hooked up backwords. but im rackin my brain thinking a lil longer as i reread the post. ok after rereadin this like ten times im startin to think you felt stupid about not seeing what was wrong cuz like you said (your not a mech) nether am i. im not being mean just like this test its nice to rack my brain from time to time. so at one point it sat in the dead of winter and fired up but that dont sound like that has anything to do with it. this time around the batt is dead and you just throw another one in (this is where im thinking the batt was just hooked up wrong. if im right pm me if im wrong post it here and let me rethink it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hint; it's more than one problem.
Richard

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rngrdanny22
I disconnected the alternator the second time I did the fuse pull test. No change.

DRKSHADOW
Ran jumpers from extra battery to starter, it turned over.
Richard

·
Registered
984 Posts
and this all started after you replaced a propane tank :question:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After I replaced a t-fitting that has no electrical going to it. ???
Richard

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I'm going to pull the plug[ :rolleyes:] on this test. I thought it was fixed but I still have a problem with the electrical. The answers are; Check that the battery that I'm putting in [to replace 1st one] is good; the 2nd one had a reading of 12.7 V [ I ASSumed it was good] but wouldn't provide enough current for the starter. [ Don said that the 2nd battery was suspect] I replaced that with another battery that had 14.4 V, it started the van but the battery is dead this morning :mad: Now I'm going to pull fuses again but start with the ones under the hood :-[ { if they are there, have to look and see}.
The dim headlights; = running lights. doh.
The brake lights; = the switch at pedal somehow got moved so that the circuit was always on.
The turn signals; = I don't know but not doing it now.

What was confusing me was everything happening at once, it was information overload. I don't have great diagnostic abilities in the first place, I look up and something bright and shiny catches my attention :rolleyes:[A.D.D.?] The propane has nothing to do with any of the problems, it's just that these problems showed up at the time I fixed the propane :exclaim:
Richard

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I feel stupider now. I failed my own test :exclaim: :exclaim: Put a freshly charged battery in and started pulling fuses again, and ,damn, if there wasn't one circuit that was drawing a bunch of amps with the key off. It's a 20A fuse in horn/dm [can anybody tell me what dm stands for?] . The horn doesn't work, fuse in or out. That circuit also runs the interior lights, so I'm just going to run the van without interior lights for now. I'll see tomorrow morning if it'll start, I feel fairly confidant it will.
Thanks for playing along 8)
Richard

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Could "dm" stand for dome light? That would fit since its the interior lights... Other than that, I have no clue... LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts