Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never thought about it until just now. But what is the difference between the Fx4, Fx4 Level II, and just the 4x4?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Well, let's see...

The 4x4 is typically an XLT with the 4x4 package. Just like a normal XLT, but 4wd.

The FX4 made its debut in 2002 and there was no LVL2 option that year. It had the option for black interior, 31 spline rear axle, etc.

The LVL2 was created in 2003 and the FX4 was made into the "FX4 Offroad", but I'm not sure of the difference between the two.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh okay gotcha. but mines a 2002 and it says Fx4 Offroad on the bed? what exactly is this rear axle youre talking about, and how would I know if I have it?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
The FX4 Offroad is basically a LVL1... it was the only model available in 2002... I had a truck just like yours about a year ago... I might actually have a chance of getting it back soon...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so theres no real difference between the Fx4 and the Fx4 level II other than the Fx4 was the first edition...otherwise their the same truck? you should! what will you do with the one you've got now? I'm hoping to come to columbus soon to visit my sister, I'll give ya an email and maybe you can show me a few trails (that arent to hardcore)

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
haha... I'll still have the 97... It really depends on if I want to keep my F150 or not.

I also have a 84 Bronco II lawn ornament... hasnt cranked in about 4 years... haha

Yeah man, hit me up and we'll get together!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
ok here is the deal
there is a diff in level II and FX4
here it is the suspension is better for offroadin on the level II
also i believe the rear diff in the level II is a specail one kinda like a detroit tru trac
and also the interior is special to the level II
and the level II came with special alcola rims
so the level II and fx4 are diff the level II is a higher pakage that is y they are more expensive and rare
ford sold all three 4x4 fx4 and fx4 level II's in 2003 and 2004 and all that so it a matter of fact the trim pakageing

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Yeah, there are some slight differences, but if you have a 2002 model, then you have the top of the line for that year model. It actually came with most of the perks of the 03 and 04 LVL2's (black interior, twin sticks if you have a 5spd, etc).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mine unfortunately is an automatic (thanks dad :'( ) but it does have all black interior.

HAHA IN YO FACE RED DEMON!! :laugh: just playin bud

no...but seriously :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you do have more mods...and are you sure you're faster than me with those big tires?

and I wouldnt put it past you, a freakin snail is faster than this damn ranger. that thing is slowest thing i've ever driven, but yet it finds a way to drinks gas? I dont get it!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
things u need to help ur gas is a air filter and well drive like a old granny lol and yes i can roast my 33 inch tires from a dead stop on pavement and do two wheel burnouts and i cut my 0 to 60 up a slight hill to 10 secs which is alot for 33 inch tires and this kinda truck it will soon be around 9 secs i have some plans

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i may go pick up a k&n filter for it friday I gotta nice paycheck coming. and yeah I drive about 65 on the interstate, thats about the speed it seems like it feels comfortable going. you have to make it go 70

·
Registered
559 Posts
The Level II has the Torsen Lok rear diff, 4.10's and 31 spline rear axles. As far as I know there is no diff in suspension components. The FX4's also came with stainless front tow hooks, a rear tow hook (option), Alcoa rims, black interior, and the sticker. Level II's with a manual transmission also got a manual Tcase and chrome shifters (they arnt hurst shifters, just chrome)

-PlumCrazy

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Good info Plum!

My 02 FX4 had the chrome shifter, black interior, and the Alcoa rims. I'm betting that the 02 FX4 became the LVL2 and the "Offroad" edition was added as an in-between for the XLT 4x4 and the LVL2.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
You should have Bilstein shocks on your truck... not sure what an FX4 Offroad came with... my 02 also had Bilsteins.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts