Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about getting tow hooks but im not sure weather i should weld it to the frame or taap some holes into the frame and bolt it in, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
there might be a place to bolt it already there but you should not tap the hole just bolt it on drill a hole and put a bolt a nut and bolt. as for welding a tow hook i dont think you should weld a tow hook to the frame

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I don't think welding would be the best option. I believe bolting it down would be sufficient.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I vote bolt on, and depending where, with some kind of brackets/metal to strengthen the frame.

Richard

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was thinking of puting them on the front of the frame, just behind the frame horns? like a L shape. if any of that makes sence. lol

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
or should i make a U shape to cup the frame and have a couple bolts go all the way threw to the other side?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
realy easy when the bumper is off

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
id probably say its just as easy, just have to get under it

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
what kinda tow hook did you have in mind did you just buy a hook or what

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no its custom made ill see if i can get a pic, there pretty heavy duty i think.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here they are

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
made to fit my ranger, i started on them like 4 days ago.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
so they should bolt right on they look like you made them to bolt on to the bumper bolts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea it would bolt on there but would that be strong enough? i was thinking welding a plate on the other side so i could stick a couple bolts through that , through the frame and then through the other plate of the tow hook

·
Registered
984 Posts
it looks good. i hate being the bad guy. but those are not a safe deal . your truck is light but the forces that a hook takes are unbelievable. i have see factory hooks snap. and the broken pieces turn into projectiles capable of taking off your head.i would strongly suggest that if you want tow hooks you spend the cash on set of real tow hooks. i apologize for being that ass that steps in and dumps on your project :-[. i like you idea and the build is good but i am worried that those wont cut it .and any body here seen a chain break under pressure knows the dangers involved. and if that hook ever let go wow look out. i think the frame pice is a good deal, bolt that baby on then a real hook on top of that. you could lift your truck off the ground and swing it a round on them . some thing to think about at least.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts