Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
lol... typical ricer eh..

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
tomorrow if i got time ill try to look up other american company V8 history.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
yeah, im learning a lot too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just to add a bit about the 429 blocks.. There were a couple of varients. Not just a Boss. The most common is the Thunderjet. Basic bare bones engine. Mine came stock with 365HP. Then there was a CobraJet and a SuperCobraJet. Both had crazy flowing heads and possibly different blocks depending on the mood of the factory. The Boss 429 block was different cause it had different oiling to the head. The Boss 429 was an extremely rare motor and 99% of them that are for sale aren't boss engines. Same with the CJ or SCJ.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
A few things to check; 335 was the cleveland series of motor, not size. For the street,2 barrel versions are better cause the 4 barrel had ginormus intake ports and sucked below about 5000 rpm.
iirc the port difference applies to some 385 series but not all.
iirc sometime in the late '70,s/80,s ford changed balancing from external to internal or vice versa for 460
iirc distributor is interchangeable between 335 series and 385 series
I'm getting oldtimer's so some or all of this might be b.s., if your building something always double check facts :)
Richard

·
Registered
179 Posts
1979 was when the changed to external balanced 370/429/460s. The block casting number was D9TE.
A 351W distributor will also fit a 370/429/460. Just you have to change the gear to a big block type. Very useful for EFI conversions.

·
Registered
655 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts