Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GOt my 203/205 Doubler from Sumner Machine Works (SMW) outa Ark City Kansas.

It is going to be so nice to have 1:1, 2:1, 4:1, and still be able to do front wheel drive, rear wheel, or 2wd low front or rear.
More pictures as I get the shifters built....

·
Registered
711 Posts
Re: Update ! ! Kinda...

very cool! can't wait to hear your report after your first trip out with it in! a doubler is probably on my list for my next set of major mods! 8)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have wanted to by a doubler since I built it the first time.... Finaly had everything paid off, so I could afford to buy it ($650) :eek:

I have a friend who has a tripple shifter sitting around, so I am gonna borrow it and copy that sucker. Its $300 from Offroad Designs ! ! ! !
I already have a twin, so all I have to make is the third, and modify the twin.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ok, have a new job, and been busy.
I finally got time to work on my shifter. 8)
It isnt exactly like I wanted, but it works great. I am putting the snap-on screw driver handle on the 203 (hi low only), and my Billett knobs back on the 205. Still have to clean everything up, weld a rod to the 203 shifter and paint everything, but I am happy with how it works.

My main goal was to have the np203 shifter in the middle of the np205 shifters, and to have them all shift the same way. Lowgear, push it forward, high pull back. Thats why the one shift rod is pointed up, I wanted it to have the same shift pattern.

Todd S.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

That looks good! I don't really know much about doublers yet but it seems to make the most sense dollar wise if you haven't sunk a bunch of money into gears yet. The more info you could post up about your system, the easier it'll make it for me to do the same. For example, what is this going into? How much [realistically - junkyard vs new] would I need to invest? How much time did you spend and how many [medically necessary] beer did it take to accomplish?

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts

That looks sick man! I love the shifters!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

alwaysFlOoReD said:
That looks good! I don't really know much about doublers yet but it seems to make the most sense dollar wise if you haven't sunk a bunch of money into gears yet.
Cant regear a rockwell.....
ANd you have 1:1, 2:1 and 4:1 ratios. Cant do that with just gears......

alwaysFlOoReD said:
For example, what is this going into?
1989 Bronco II 5.0 HO and a C-6, rockwells and 44's.

alwaysFlOoReD said:
How much [realistically - junkyard vs new] would I need to invest?
All I know is what I paid.
Junkyard NP205: $200
Junkyard NP203(rare ford) : $150
Sumner Machine Doubler kit : $685 Shipped to my door.
Twin stick shifter : $149

alwaysFlOoReD said:
How much time did you spend and how many [medically necessary] beer did it take to accomplish?
Richard
I drink lots of bber, so youll have to calculate that on your own.... :)

Also with the Sumner kit you can clock your transfer cases how ever you want. 203 upside down and the 205 2-4 inches up, so it all sits flat or what ever. I kept my clocking stock, for driveshaft reasons.

Here are some of the place who sell doublers.
Offroad designs
Jeds machine
Sumner Machine
NOrthwest Fabworks.

I chose Somner because, he was the inventer of the 203/205 doubler..... So I figured he has ALL THE BUGS WORKED OUT of the design..
Hope this answers your questions.
Todd S.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

[size=14pt] Almost have the frame boxed in. Just have a few inches on the driver side to finish.
With the T-Case out, it was the perfect time, lots of room now.[/size]

[size=14pt]Once the frame is boxed I can install the 203/205 doubler, build my crossmember, lengthen one driveshaft shorten the other. AND THE DRIVE THE S#!T OUT OF IT ! ! ! ! [/size]

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Re: Update ! ! Now it really is.....

Awesome! I'm thinking about boxing the frame on my 84 BII also. Other than not having room, did you run into any issues that I should be aware of?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Highly recomend boxing in the frame. With just a sas 44 and 37's i had some wavy spots in it.
I plated it on the outside where i couldnt get to it to box it. On the outside i plated it with 5/16 or 1/4 (cant remember), on the side and on the bottom. Im gonna put a skid plate an it too. That will also help with frame flex.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts

Sweet! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

heavy duty bro ill get back to you soon on the sticker ideas my comp crashed and just got it back up pissin me off

1 - 20 of 68 Posts