Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really sure how to describe this, except to say my truck sways back and forth on the interstate. Think I am going to have to take Dramamine to drive it pretty soon. 1998 Ford Ranger XLT. Had sway bar links replaced, upper ball joints replaced. Still sways. It is making me physically ill. Any ideas as to why it would be doing this. Also 2 new tires on the front.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I am in the wrong section. The truck is swaying/pulling on the highway. It goes left, then right. The steering wheel doesn't move. I had someone test drive it today, he thinks it could be the bearings. I have had that checked already, am going to get them rechecked tomorrow. My truck is now listed on Craigslist. I can't drive it, I have an inner ear problem and it is ultra sensitive to this problem.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Your description of the problem leaves a lot to the imagination, so that may be why you haven't had any responses. You say you have new tires on the front. Was the other work done before, after, or at the same time? Is your tire pressure correct? Are the tire nuts torqued correctly? They should be approximately 110 ft/lbs. How old are the shocks? Have you had it into a mechanic or are you doing your own work? How much mechanical experience do you have? Another check should be your steering. Have some one turn the steering wheel while you look at the pitman arm. There should be equal movement; as the steering column turns, so should the pitman arm. Make sure there is no slop in the tie rods or drag link.
Good luck,

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The work was all done after the new tires. I am not a mechanic and had someone else do all of the work. I was working doing hurricane cleanup and some of the truck drivers and one of the equipment operators, who is also a mechanic looked at my truck. I have learned more about my truck than I have ever wanted to know in the last month... The problem started in the last month, I did a lot of traveling to get to work. They checked the steering also. I am bringing it back to the place where they changed the ball joints today. I don't know enough about trucks to give you much more info. Hell, I didn't even know what a ball joint looked like until a couple weeks ago or that there was such a thing as a sway bar link. Maybe I should have mentioned that I am a female...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Being female isn't the problem.
Its always a good idea to know about what you are operating, that way if you can't fix it yourself you can describe to the mechanic what your problem is better.
Have you checked any of what I suggested? If so, what were the results?

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steering checked, all okay with that. Two more mechanics drove it Friday. They are getting me to bring it to a tire place Tuesday or Wednesday. They are going to check everything again over there. The owner of the place called them and told them about the problem and they are going to check the alignment, tires, rims and placement of the tires and a couple more things. Tie rods are okay, wheel bearings are okay. If the tire place can't figure it out, it's gone... Will keep you posted, thanks

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Good luck.

Richard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts