Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if it is slipping or not. It seems i have had this problem before but as of late it has gotten worse. It shifts and seems fine but when i am going up a hill it bucks and seems like its slipping. The engine rpm doesn't change either i have replaced the iac valve already also. As for the transmission fluid it is full and has a little bit of a dirty color to it. I am not really sure what is wrong with my truck please help.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Year, engine and tranny type?

Richard

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 1997 4.0 with the 5r55 or whatever its called 4 speed with over drive.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I can't help. Hopefully someone else can.

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Does the trans fluid smell burnt?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It smells fine to me maybe a little dirty. I had the fluid flushed about a year ago but i guess they didn't change the filter.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
How many miles on the trans?

Richard

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has 126 thousand on the truck i assume the drive train is original. I haven't been very nice to the truck either it has took a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I don't know automatics well enough to say exactly what the problem is. With your description it could be the lock-up convertor. I think these are controlled by a solenoid as well as hydraulic pressure. It may be as simple as changing the fluid and filter, worth a try as that shouldn't be to hard or expensive. I don't know how hard it would be to change the solenoid at the same time. It could even be a bad wiring connection. I think the first thing I would do is get more than two tranny shops to test drive it and see what they think. If they all come up with the same diagnosis then it's probably true. Then you have to decide how much you are willing to spend. A tranny r+r is ~C$400.00 where I am, then the cost of the repair. Pulling the trans yourself could be an option providing the shop agrees. They probably won't warranty the job though as an improperly installed trans can ruin the convertor which will cause you to, at best, r+r the trans again to replace the convertor and maybe pump, and, at worst, get a new trans.
Depending on rust, removing the trans can be a real ordeal. For example; I ended up busting 3 of the 4 exhaust to manifold studs. I will have to drill and tap for repair threads, and I don't know if I can get a straight enough angle to do that without removing the manifolds, which means probably more broken bolts in the heads, which means removing the engine to repair those threads, etc... I don't want to scare you off, just let you know that **** happens and be prepared to make alternate driving arrangements.
All this depends on how mechanical you are and how much research you are willing to do, you may decide to repair the trans yourself.
Anyway, good luck in whatever you decide,

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
get a new trans filter and some fluid drop the pan and look at the magnet in the pan if its full of metal(im sure it will be ) you need a new trans

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But the strange thing is is it bucks a little going up hills. It has done this for the longest time and as i recall. I have another thread on here dedicated to the same problem. The transmission fluid doesn't smell burnt and only has a little dirty tint to it but for the most part still bright red. And if the transmission was slipping wouldn't it do it all of the time?. Mine still shifts through the gears really smooth and everything only bucks a little when under load going up hill. And it also had a hard time starting this morning this leading me to believe maybe its stumbling because it needs a tune up?. But i know it would benifit from a transmission fluid change and new filter. That is coming this spring when weather gets nicer.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
side note not all trans willl slip all the time but yes it could just need a tune up start there

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i popped the hood today and checked over the spark plug wires. Man do i feel like a idiot one of the spark plug wires was popping off the spark plug i think it might have just been a bad connection to that cylinder. I will drive it around and check it out.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Let us know.

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That would be nice if that's the fix. Definitely post the results!

It may help someone in the future!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is not doing it anymore. I figure the reason why it was doing it is because it was getting week spark to that cylinder. And when the engine was under a load it would cause it to miss fire and cause it to stumble. When i get my tax return back i am still going to change the tranny fluid and filter though.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
thats a good idea if you ever plan on selling it keep records of when you do this stuff get a folder and put your paper work for the work you do on it

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BADINTEN said:
thats a good idea if you ever plan on selling it keep records of when you do this stuff get a folder and put your paper work for the work you do on it
Thats a good idea on future vehicles. This one isn't worth much because its beat up and kind of old. I plan on running this one till it doesn't run anymore. It is also paid for and i really don't feel like having a car payment for a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts