Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A really strange thing keeps happening as i'm driving my truck. I will be driving and it will be smooth all of the sudden it bucks a little. I did check the transmission fluid it is full and bright red. Could this be my transmission slipping? Seems like it is getting worse. What i heard is it could be a vaccume leak or a idle air control sensor possibly the mass air flow sensor. It has been doing this for a while now but it seems as of lately it has been getting worse. No check engine light either i don't know what is going on very very confused at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Does it typically happen between 40-50 MPH? Mine did that a few years back and it turned out to be the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. It sits right on top of the intake manifold next to the throttle body.

Which motor do you have? Mine was a 4.0L V6.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the 4.0 v6 i haven't really paid attention as to when it happens it just kind of happens randomly when it wants to.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I hate to say it, but the best bet is to wait until it trips the Check Engine Light. If you start trying to find fixes now, it could become pretty pricey by using the trial and error method. Try to keep a log in your truck and mark all times that it happens (include speed, gear if known, etc). This may help to diagnose in the absence of a CEL.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the IAC it doesn't buck anymore going at any speed so it was a easy fix thanks for the help :).

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Great to hear! Glad we could help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts