Ford Ranger Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up my new-to-me 2019 Ranger Lariat (RWD) yesterday. It's got the tow package (receiver hitch, barrel and flat 4-pin connectors). So I went to actually use my utility trailer the same day I got the truck and I connected the 4-pin connector from the trailer to the connector on the back of the truck and the lights won't work. They worked on the Cheap Cherokee I had. Now I thought there was some wizardry I had to do on the dash or something and I can't seem to find anything in the manual about it.

Would the pin wiring be different?
Does there need to be some hocus-pocus, smoke and mirrors magic to make it work?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ted

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just picked up my new-to-me 2019 Ranger Lariat (RWD) yesterday. It's got the tow package (receiver hitch, barrel and flat 4-pin connectors). So I went to actually use my utility trailer the same day I got the truck and I connected the 4-pin connector from the trailer to the connector on the back of the truck and the lights won't work. They worked on the Cheap Cherokee I had. Now I thought there was some wizardry I had to do on the dash or something and I can't seem to find anything in the manual about it.

Would the pin wiring be different?
Does there need to be some hocus-pocus, smoke and mirrors magic to make it work?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ted
Recently I purchased a new Ranger FX4 which came with a 12 pin flat connector. My local Ford dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle could not or would not supply me with a wiring diagram for the vehicle even though they had installed the electric brakes kit. Their suggestion was that the 12 pin plug was wired in accordance with the so called "industry standard" a copy of which they download from the internet. The stop lights, turn indicators, tail lights and electric brake connections were as per the "industry standard" but the high current connections for 12V operation of the refrigerator, and charging of the caravan battery were not as per the "industry standard" also there was no 12v connection on pin No.12 which is required for automatic operation of the refrigerator. Regards, Robert Tawton

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Recently I purchased a new Ranger FX4 which came with a 12 pin flat connector. My local Ford dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle could not or would not supply me with a wiring diagram for the vehicle even though they had installed the electric brakes kit. Their suggestion was that the 12 pin plug was wired in accordance with the so called "industry standard" a copy of which they download from the internet. The stop lights, turn indicators, tail lights and electric brake connections were as per the "industry standard" but the high current connections for 12V operation of the refrigerator, and charging of the caravan battery were not as per the "industry standard" also there was no 12v connection on pin No.12 which is required for automatic operation of the refrigerator. Regards, Robert Tawton
I've been hearing a lot of that "industry Standard" thing. If that were an actual thing, then the lights on the trailer I have would work since I bought the trailer brand new from Lowes and one would think that a new trailer would already be wired to the "Industry Standard". I suspect a little Tom-foolery is afoot. I believe I may have to rewire the trailer to the "Ford Standard" instead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts