Ford Ranger Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had my first opportunity to tow my utility trailer with my tractor in it. The trip went fine, but I got all kinds of messages and icons that I can not find referenced in the owner's manual. The Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide do not give any information beyond the capacities. Where can I find out the answers? For instance, there was a yellow icon that was too small to identify accurately, but it looked a little like the traction control icon with some extra lines. Also, a message kept coming up about the cross-traffic function being disabled. There were several others that I can't remember in detail, but there must be someplace where all of these messages and icons are described. I don't think that I can get any help from the dealer as they didn't have a clue about what to do for a trailer brake controller. I had to go to an RV dealer to get one installed. I find it disturbing that I have a Kia minivan that came with about 3 - 4" of manuals for a relatively simple vehicle while the Ranger that is a very complex piece of machinery has a single 1" think (at most) manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you have anything plugged into your connections at the bumper - 4 pin or 7 pin connectors. I think if you tow a trailer without the proper connections you will get a fault indication - something like stability control
Text Photograph Font Aqua Turquoise

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have anything plugged into your connections at the bumper - 4 pin or 7 pin connectors. I think if you tow a trailer without the proper connections you will get a fault indication - something like stability control
View attachment 731
Yes, I had the 7 pin trailer connections plugged in so I would have the lights and trailer brakes active. I finally found what the trailer button on the console was for, listed in the Owner's Manual under Transmission! But, I still don't know what the yellow icon was about or the cryptic message on the screen.

·
Registered
Ford Ranger XLT 1998
4 Posts
This year, my wife and I got the urge to travel all over the country. To do so, I decided to replace my vehicle with a more powerful one. To do so, I researched trucks for travel trailers and decided to purchase a Ford F-150. When choosing, always look at the towing capacity and base your choice on that. It would help if you remembered the trailer's weight and other things you plan to take with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts