Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for t cases, I'm going to use an adapter on my 2wd AOD to bolt one up.

I've found a few good deals on NP205's I'm somewhat worried about fitment issues.

I'm really at wits end, anyone have suggestions about what Tcase would be somewhat simple to get up and running?

I'm not worried about the driveshaft yet I can get one custom made, so thats the easy part.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at a 1356 out of an F150 that being parted out down the road.

I can't seem to find too many B2's or Rangers that haven't been stripped of running gear already.

The NP, or the 1356 may be my only option.

If I find a 1354 out of another Ranger then I would imagine that may go together quite smoothly with not too many fitment issues.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And as for the Electronic shift problem, I'd really love to steer clear of the electric shift but if it comes down to it, I have the control panel already mounted in the truck above the rear view mirror with the dome lights. I can the the control module and everything to wire it up if i have to.

But I'd really love to keep it manual.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I wanna say rwenzig has a F150 transfer case in his Ranger... maybe you could shoot him a PM and ask!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually will, the 1354 would just make life easier, I really really really don't want to deal with the electric shift bs.

Ha, why can't this be Chevy easy? lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But hey keep the suggestions coming lol

The NP is small, but heavy as hell, I have experience with them in Chevy's I know doing the 205 in a 350 S10 required fabbing a custom cross member but not a whole lot of cutting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I'll check it out.

I have a nice aluminum driveshaft right now i'd love to keep, but im now also considering a divorced setup.

I was under my buddies truck this morning and he has a divorced setup and it doesn't look complex at all.

Of course thats a full size Dodge, but that sure would save the tranny work, but im not sure the extra fabrication would be worth it.

The truck probably is too small for a divorced setup but Im toying around with all ideas...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm not knowledgeable about divorced t.c., What did they come in?
Richard

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They came in a few 70's F250's, those huge 6x6 Military trucks, and some other things.

They came in all sorts of trucks actually.

From my understanding a divorced setup could have advantages over a married setup because the fact it doesn't mount to the tranny, just to the frame it saves some stress on the tranny and the motor mounts.

The problem is, a Ranger is pretty short, and trying to fit that under there with the driveshaft from the tranny to the tcase, will probably leave me kinda stuck with the rear driveshaft angle.

As for rwenzig, he looks to be nonexsistent on here, I gave him a google search ended up on rf, but it looks like hes not there anymore either... damn i was looking forward to seeing this beast.

Upon further investigation, I found Rwenzing, being mentioned on explorerforum, i'll keep searching lol

Heyy, I found something:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167165

·
Registered
559 Posts
Rwenzig also has a V8 and the trans with the correct bolt pattern for fullsize tcase

Your best bet is to find a 1354M tcase from any RBV and get the 4x4 tailshaft housing for your trans (or a whole 4x4 trans) and it will all bolt right up.

You will be able to use a factory driveshaft, but not you 2wd shaft because it will be too long and also be setup for a a slip yoke in the trans.

There is no need for a divored tcase in a RBV since the cases are light wieght. Divorced cases also mean you will have an extra 2 ujoints and have to have custom shafts made (front and back).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just toying with the divorced idea.

I was looking at his car domain, that truck is put together beautifully.

I'll search High and Low (hehe) for a 1354, I just wanted to make sure i exhausted all of the possibilities.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm starting to like my Ford as I start to understand it more.

I'll just sell the driveshaft when time comes, and that'll help me with the funds.

Luckily I can get the driveshafts made free so I don't have to worry about cost with those.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How in the world would you fit a BW1356 in a ranger frame. That thing is a LOT bigger than the BW1354. I'm not sure how big the NP205 is. I never really measured it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
After measuring, the BW1356 will extend 2 inches past the outside of the frame on a ranger, so the engine and tranny would have to be offset quite abit. There is approximately 13 inches from the driveshaft centerline to the drivers side framerail. Basically you need a VERY small Tcase to swap in there. That's why I'm searching for a Dana 20.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts