Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I need some expert advice. 1999 Ford Ranger XLT 6 cylinder 3.0L
I've had a whole bunch of odd issues lately, worst of which was a steady drain on the battery. I traced the leak to a particular fuse, and on that circuit is the GEM module. From reading other entries, the problems I've seen are most likely due to the GEM. As I understand it, I cannot simply buy a new GEM and swap it out. Apparently I would need the dealer to copy the settings/configuration of my old unit over to the new one. But I've also read that a GEM from the same make/model/version can be a direct swap. So i pulled the GEM today, however the part number appears to match a Mazda B-3000 truck. I did have the engine replaced with a reman when I was in college (it's been a few years), but don't recall the donor truck. Just wondering if they put in a B-3000 reman engine and swapped out the GEM module to match. Would that be necessary (i.e. does the engine and the GEM have to match)? If so, then does it make the most sense to find a salvaged GEM from a B-3000? I have the engine s/n, but not sure if that helps. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts