Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else with the T5 have challenges of hooking up a reliable clutch engagement, cable or slave cylinder? I've been patient and working with a cable system, but the patience is worn out and fabricated 4 different ways to make a cable actuate the clutch. The Explorer ebrake seemed to be a really great alternative but can still give a huge workout while in heavy traffic. I've been going through trying to hook up the slave cylinder on a steel bracket thats stiff enough to handle the load of constant use. Tried tracking down a decent slave cylinder with a metal housing and bolt attachments with no luck.

Hope that the new hardline doesnt leak this time and the makeshift bracket fabrication works but need to get a hold of something a little more solid.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My roommate has a 92 Ranger with a 302 swap and a t-5 and he runs a hydraulic clutch. I don't know his exact setup, but I know he has a stainless steel braided line for it. As far as I know he hasn't had any trouble with it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BADINTEN said:
why cant you use a factory bracket like the one on the 88 f-150
As far as i know the bracket wasn't made for the mustang belhousing setup, but haven't had a really good look at it either to see if it bolts up to the mounting holes on the side of the t5.

West said:
My roommate has a 92 Ranger with a 302 swap and a t-5 and he runs a hydraulic clutch. I don't know his exact setup, but I know he has a stainless steel braided line for it. As far as I know he hasn't had any trouble with it.
Tried using a braided line and watched it expand and contract with no actuation from the slave cylinder.

Went through the summit catalog online and took a good look at the Wilwood pull type slave cylinder and realized that it could be bolted up to the front of the belhousing where the cable is supposed to go and hook up the actuator shaft up to the clutch arm with an L shaped bracket. It's supposed to have 1 3/8" of full travel and wont have to fabricate a holder for a push type which has been the biggest pain in the ass. Should get the new slave cylinder in the mail in the next week and has standard hard line fittings to hook it up. I'll take some pics when it get put in.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing i found was a concentric clutch used just like in the 2.3L, you got any pics of the bracket? Everything else ive seen from other projects, they were welded L brackets bolted just behind the belhousing on the T5. Figured with the pull style, eliminates the need for any further holder brackets. Trying out an alternative until the Wilwood arrives just to see if it makes a decent backup.
There is a junkyard closeby, I could check out some of the wrecks they got out there, might get lucky.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess the new Wilwood slave cylinder works great, the stock slave cylinder wouldn't give enough travel to release the clutch.

All i needed was a return rod to hook up to the clutch arm. Used a standard brake line from the mustang rear to hook up the fluid to both cylinders. used a 5/16" compression fitting to hook up the plastic line coming off of the master cylinder.

Really smooth and getting out to try it in the next hour or so.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8) The new clutch setup is a blast, just as smooth as the original. Shouldn't see any more issues coming from the clutch system except to replace the clutch in another 15 years or so, hopefully longer. Now I got another issue, leaky radiator, might have to put the brazing rod to good use. I just don't get it, only had the radiator for the last 3 years and 12,000 miles, shouldn't be getting any leaks already....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not really a brand name, Advance adapters probably has them custom made from some supplier, probably the reason i paid as much as i did. I submitted a couple of questions to see about getting it taken care of, just waiting for the reply.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took a look at the site, huge assortment, and they got the same size radiator that i've got. Probably take mine out when it starts acting up again and get it over to a repair shop if i have trouble finding the leak. As for now it doesn't seem to be leaking after putting in a single dose of the radiator sealant pellets. So far so good after 100 miles and the clutch is still rock solid with the addition of the stiffener bracket with the roller bearing.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Glad you got the clutch system worked out.

Richard

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had to do some final modifications to the slave cylinder return shaft. Guess there was too much flex, hooked up a bracket with a single bearing to keep the shaft from moving, still had problems with clearance and ended up with this:

Set it up with a double bearing and 90 degrees from each other and the slave cylinder right down the middle. Has been working trouble free for the last couple of days, even smoother than when the 2.3 was mounted in there with the concentric clutch. The only thing left is to fabricate a boot to go around it to keep the elements off of it. The bearings are sealed precision bearings, but having a little added protection should make it last for years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
88 ford ranger w/ hydraulic clutch. line looks like it broke going into the slave center, the clip no longer holds it in place. what is involved in replacing this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts