Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im looking at buying some subs and an amp for my truck i was wondering what amp to buy? i am planning on buying 2 alpine 10" (swr-1042D) power handling max= 1500 watts, power handling nominal= 500 watts, impendance= 4+4 OHM's any help would be awesome, thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and i dont need to break any windows in my truck i just need an enjoyable loud beat so im thinking medium bass

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i figured 1 would be enough but i like thing sematricle (if i spelt that right) and if i just had one sub and one amp it would be semetricle if you know what i mean

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats some quality work! good job, what amp would you use for 2 10 inch subs?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
well i had a 350 watt and my subs keep melting cuz the amp was under powering the one 10 inch alpine so i would go with maybe a 500 watt or a 450 watt do yall got a best buy up there? if u do go there and check out the diff amps amps and subs don't have to be the same name brand the subs do but the amp can be diff

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea we got a best buy i get all my audio stuff there, and just so im not confussed i need 1 500 watt amp to power 2 10 alpines? right

·
Registered
559 Posts
Make sure you look into the depth on those subs. There isnt much room to work with behind the seats in reg cab. If you havnt already bought subs I would recommend you look into some shallow subs. I am running the Memphis S-Class shallow subs and I love them. I am pushing 1000 watts through them and they sound just as good as a deep sub. Pioneer amakes some lower priced shallow subs that are easier on your wallet than the Memphis or JL. I ran 2 12" JL subs in my reg cab and had no leg room, nor did I have enough room to build a box with the proper air space.

Build your box out of 3/4 MDF and be sure to seal up th joints with some glue (I like liquid nals because it can be formed a little).

-PlumCrazy

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
yes i used liquid nails on my box and used wood staples good insite plum on the shallow subs i forgot his truck was a regular cab the alpine 10 inch subs are pretty small but i think they are cheap peices of **** lol shop around man find the right ones don't go out and just buy what looks sweet it might not sound good and be a cheap peice of ****

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
559 Posts
IIRC, My box was as big as I could fit behind the seats, and it was 7.5" at the bottom and it tapered to 3" at the top. It was 13" tall and 36" wide. 13" is as tall as you can go becasue there is rib on the back of the cab.

I had box that was taller, but it was open in the back above the rib for some 6x9's. I also swapped in the trim panels from a Gen II Ranger w/o speaker pods so I could make the box wider

These were the 12" JL's I ran with my Memphis amp. There are also 2- 6x9's, 2- 4x6's and 2- 3x5's. It was the source for music at all of our parties/bonfires.lol When I built this box I had no idea that air space was so critical for a sub to sound right.

Here is my Memphis S-Class subs in the old reg cab before I put them in the blue truck. (that is my inverter, not my amp.lol The amp is 3X that size.) Notice rear panels with speaker pods vs the pods w/o in the pic above. This box was built to have the perfect air space for a sealed box with two subs. I made it out of 3/4 MDF and sealed it and wrapped it in black leather. Haveing the correct size box makes these 10's way deeper and more precise than my old setup.

Here is the same box in my Super Cab. I had to trim a little off the rear interior panel and lose the cargo cover/shade thing as well as the net on the back wall, but it was worth it. The biggest down fall is I have to take out the box if I want to fold down the jump seats, but it gives me an excuse to not have to haul more than one extra person around. Put the quick disconnect terminals on the box so it only takes a min to unplug the box and throw it in the bed or leave it at house if I need more passenger room.
[IMG]

-PlumCrazy

1 - 20 of 50 Posts