Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking of installing a sterring stabilizer on my 91 2wd. Is it a difficult job? Would it be just a bolt on, or would there have to some modifications done? Anyone have pictures of the process?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
It should be a bolt-on process. From what I remember when I had one on my 97, it simply bolted from the frame to the steering arm.

Which one are you going with? Do you have a picture or a link?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Here's the way it came installed on my newest b-II project. From the marks I can see the bracket on the left gets clamped on the 'drag link', the bar directly above the left bracket.

Richard

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 2wd w 31x10.50 bfg all terrain ko. I put a rough country lift on the truck so I just thought I would keep with the same brand and put a Rough Country stabilizer on it as well.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That looks similar to the skyjacker one I had, but mine bolted to the top of the drag link using u-bolts and then connected to the frame.

Just like BADINTEN said, I also had to drill holes in the frame to mount the bracket on.

With the way the picture you showed is designed, I would think it could easily bind up when turning hard to the left.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Well, I've never run it so can't say for sure but the indications are that is the way it was run. Another pic from a different angle;

I can see where it looks like it might hit on a hard left in the first pic. But this is just to give the OP an idea of how you could install a steering stabilizer. Like has been mentioned, instead of attaching to the beam, attach to the frame. Just cycle the front end to make sure everything clears.

Good luck,

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
31" tires you dont need it at all bro if you have that much side to side play when driving its time to rebuild the linkage yours just sounds worn out

·
Registered
984 Posts
alwaysFlOoReD said:
Here's the way it came installed on my newest b-II project. From the marks I can see the bracket on the left gets clamped on the 'drag link', the bar directly above the left bracket.

Richard
[/quote] i can see how this would work .when the beams drop out the drivers side and passenger side come together as does the steering link if that stabilizer was in there. when the drive side dropped it would push the steering link to the passengers side. i might be ass back wards here.on a ttb it must have to go to the frame. the only way it could go to the diff is if it solid .if i am wrong in my thinking some please chime in . all this a side in all the research i have done on the ttb says that a well set up system does not require a stabilizer, and that a stabilizer just hides an under lying problem s. not promoting any other sites here but there are a couple tech articles in a couple on the subject and the info is top shelf worth a look. when i was starting out in the world of ttb i started to ask about stabilizers to fix my bump steer and received a sound trashing on the points of the ttb :'(. the long and short is that if you think you need a stabilizer you have some problems in you ttb set up. so i have been told. i rebuild my front end had it properly aliened and no more steering problems. all i know is what has worked me and what didn't work for me by doing.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
sloue said:
alwaysFlOoReD said:

Richard
[/quote] i can see how this would work .when the beams drop out the drivers side and passenger side come together as does the steering link if that stabilizer was in there. when the drive side dropped it would push the steering link to the passengers side. i might be ass back wards here.on a ttb it must have to go to the frame. the only way it could go to the diff is if it solid .if i am wrong in my thinking some please chime in . all this a side in all the research i have done on the ttb says that a well set up system does not require a stabilizer, and that a stabilizer just hides an under lying problem s. not promoting any other sites here but there are a couple tech articles in a couple on the subject and the info is top shelf worth a look. when i was starting out in the world of ttb i started to ask about stabilizers to fix my bump steer and received a sound trashing on the points of the ttb :'(. the long and short is that if you think you need a stabilizer you have some problems in you ttb set up. so i have been told. i rebuild my front end had it properly aliened and no more steering problems. all i know is what has worked me and what didn't work for me by doing.
[/quote]

i can nuderstand what your saying and as for the set up in this picture i cant really comment on it im a 2wd guy and when you go big on tires it helps to have the stabilizer cuz no matter how good your set up is wider tires grip more road and if you have a perfect road ( who does ) with no uneven parts or pot holes it wont pull but in the reall worl the roads are fucked up and jerk side to side. not riping forces but enuff to make it a **** to drive. when i lifted my ranger and only had the 29/9.50 it was no prob but when i put on my 33/12.50 it pulled left and right just a lil but as soon as i installed my stabilizer it stopped it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts