Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so has anyone else taken out there steering gear box?

I dont know what year they change the gear box, all i know is the ranger and the Bii had the same one in the 80's.

I was trying to take out the gear box, and the first thing i tried to do was disconnect both hydralic lines from the steering pump. One is on the right side (when looking into the engine compartment) held on with a threaded connection (bolt) the other is on the bottom, held on with a hose clamp.

I managed to turn the bolt at least a quarter turn, but it stopped and i couldnt get it off. So i moved on to the hose clamp, i had it held opened with vise grips, but i gould not get it off. I tried using a screw driver and a hammer, but it still wouldnt come off.

Does anyone know if im doing something wrong?

·
Registered
559 Posts
the hose should just slip off the barb after you get the clamp slid down, but be careful using the hammer/ screw driver trick because the barb is plastic and will break off if you hit it too hard. The threaded fitting on the side should unscrew, it just has an o-ring to seal it, so once it is broke loose it should come right out. (you will need a flare nut wrench to break it loose without rounding it off) If its already starting to round off then get a good bite with a pair of vise grips.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Were you ever able to get it off?

·
Registered
712 Posts
another trick to getting stuck hose's of after you take of the hose clamp is to grab on to it with a pair of channel locks right where the clamp was and twist it untile it breaks loose but be very carful if its a plastic fitting. And a hammer and screw drive is only going to cause damage and for the bolt if i remember right it should just screw all the way out.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i got the box out of the truck. the reason the bolt would turn and stop was because the hose was stuck and wouldnt turn separately. Now i am stuck i am unable to loosen the pitman arm nut to the steering box.

·
Registered
559 Posts
WD-40 is lubricant, not a penitrating oil, so it may help after you break the nut loose but it wont do squat until get it turning. PB Blaster and Sea Foam Deep Creep are some of the best penitrating oils out there.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
The best thing for rusty nuts (LOL) is to use some kind of oil and use an impact wrench... I've snapped many bolts using the old elbow grease method...

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
LOL... it's hard to talk about this stuff without getting perverted.. haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts