Ford Ranger Forums banner

161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
sorry guys ive bin realy busy with this apprentice thing at school, and i got the truck up at the shop now getting the axle swapped but i was talking to my auto teacher and he wants his explorer to be 2wd and i want my truck to be 4wd so he said if everything would interchange it would be a strait up trade and then i would have the ttb front and i told him that we would have to switch engine cross members cuz there diff from 2wd to 4wd and i asked him what gears he had in the front diff but he doesnt know but im guessing 3.73 or something so i would have to switch that out and bolt up a transfer casse, anything else you guys can think of? thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
have a bit of an update, got my axle al ready for the perches to be wwelded on the rear axle and getting pinion angles set so heres some pictures

and heres my truck at the auto shop where i currently work on it

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Glad to see you getting some work done on it 8)
I think that's a good idea keeping the old perchs on the axle, you keep your options open for down the road.
Good job!

Richard

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
got a bit of an update, so here are some pics!

crown vic brake pads(got the idea from plumcrazy, so thanks plum), axle and pinion seals, differential and pinion bearings.

and brand new discs

so now this should keep me busy for awhile lol.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
because the plate from the ranger is a tad smaller but i could always modify the ranger one to work, but i think im going to just cut off the shock part of the explorer plate and use it as is.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
thanks sloue, and yea i might cut it of just for looks or i might go raid the parts f 150 in the court yard a steal those ones.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
hey guys havent udated in a little while, so here a little update.

i bought some diff shims and thought i had the gear pattern pretty much perfect, but apperently i wasnt even close, so the guy gave me some tips on what to do so as soon as i get a speedy sleeve and crush sleeve the pinion gear will be set for good hopefully and then its all in adjusting the diff from side to side and get that bang on.
but most of my time has bin cuaght up in my teachers custom project truck. its a 1994 dodge ram standard cab short box 4x4 with diesel dana 60 and dana 70 axles, and its lifted 10 inches, 8 inch suspention and 2 inch body lift and it sits on 20 inch rims and 38 inch nitto grapplers, but thats not the best part, the engine is from a 2004 dodge ram with the 5.7 hemi so everything is custom and ive bin doing most of it since ive started this class. the list goes on and on about whats done to it. ill admit i like it but id rather be doing this to a ford truck, or my ranger lol.

but heres the start of his build thread over on pavment sucks - http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/thread-94-ram-hemi-swap-and-lots-more
sorry for such a long post but i thinks its worth a look through.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
no its just got diesel axles, there more heavy duty i guess. and its got the hemi for an engine not a cummins.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It won't be long and I'll be asking you questions! In fact I'll start now, how did you go about doing your rear, and what did you do to fix it? This is stuff that could go in the tech library, so do a good write up.
Good job,

Richard

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
yea my teacher is like 33 tops im not exactly sure how old he is, and for my rear end, its not realy technical but very time consuming. ill explain it all when i have pictures ready to go, it'll make more sence hopfully. and ill make sure to take lots of pics for you guys that might be interested, because if you ever get good at it you can work at a differential shop and charge unbelievable amounts just to put gears in, theres a place here that wanted $600 to do it lol.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
so far to install the gears it has cost me 40 bucks for the shims

161 - 180 of 220 Posts