Ford Ranger Forums banner

181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
got a small update on my axle progress..

its almost done id say mabey another week if i can work on it consistantly, i just pulled the bearings off the differential today and replace all the seals in the axle and most of the bearings in the axle, pretty much all that is left to do is set up the differential gears and it will be ready to be put in my truck. i cant wait, its been to long for an axle and gear swap but ive learned alot so hopfully it'll be worth it lol.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Good luck on the install! You know we want pictures when it's done!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
hey guys, Axle isa installed in the truck, now im doing a body lift and a custom shock tower, im going to bring my camera to school tomorrow hopfully and ill take tons of pics.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Progress looks like its coming along. Got another 2 of these explorer rear swaps in progress with the same set up as mine. Did you weld on shock supports on the axle tube? found it easier to use the shock plates and have the sway bar as well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
im running no rear swap bar at the moment, but i triangulated my shocks so i used the top hole of the swap bar mount on the axle to mount my shocks, right now the mount is single shear so ill have to make it double shear for strength. and today i got my flex lines but i have to get one more from edmonton, i also got my extended bolts for my bed. and with my shock mount the way it is i kinda have to get a 2 inch body lift because its a 2 inch tube above the frame so ill be getting a 2 inch body lift also. and does any one know if i get a 2 inch body lift do i have to extend the steering linkage or is that only for three inch body lifts? thanks guys

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Good to see you doing stuff to your truck! I'm not sure but I think you DON'T need an extension for the steering. If it ends up you do need it, PM me and I'll give you one for cost of shipping.

Richard

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
alright thanks richard, that would be awesome! Thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
turns out i wont need a steering extention, but thanks for the offer, and also a small update, the truck can drive now i just need four more body bolts because they messed up on the order (its always something to go wrong when its almost done! lol) and also need body mounts, and then bleed the brakes, and done, driving this beast on the road lol should be fun!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
well guys, its done and i have picture to show so here they are, please ask questions, or give suggestions thanks!

i found a canopy on the side of the road yesturday on my drive so picked it up and it fit pretty decent, i have no clue whats its for but it came with keys and all the glass was intact.

shock set up

bed mounts

extended brake lines and extended sway bar links that i made

tire coming out of the whell well

and all my old stuff, and that yellow painted metal is my new rear bumper

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Dude, that is sick! I love the rear shock setup...

One recommendation... prerunner fenders and pulled bedsides! >:?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That looks good!!
I would take a close look at the rad support where your body mounts are. Wire wheel or brush off that rust and use some rust converter and then paint. I'd even go so far as to remove the body mount bushing to make sure that the rust in and around there is taken care of. Your welds look pretty good. The angle of the shocks will mean that they work at 50% of full capacity, meaning that they will most likely be a little 'soft'. What is your reasoning for that position? Not saying it's bad, just wondering. Keep an eye on the extended brake lines as I had one rub against the tire and blew the line. Check for clearances in full droop and stuff, lock to lock. I ended up using a spring to pull the line away from my tire.
Nice job, you should be proud!

Richard

Edit, Nice find on the canopy. FYI, You can still get rear doors/hatches for those for around C$150.00 That would include the frame, glass and locking mechanism. You said you have keys but I couldn't see the back door.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
right now those shock are right in the middle so even travel up and down but its still doesnt stop it from going to full droop, and the reason i mounted them like that is so i could get better articulation for flexing , and yea i still need to finish a couple things on it like brake line and making a parking brake work and im sure theres alot more just cant think of it right now lol. and yea for the canopy it came with the rea door itts just not attached, i need to get some tiny screw for it to hold in there, but it came with everything so i kinda lucked out on this one. probably when i get the funds ill paint it white, carpet the inside, pput dome lights inside, 12v outlets, and build a roof rack for it, but i still need clamps to hold it down. thanks guys!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
got my rear bumper made and put on the truck, lookos pretty good imo, still need to cap the ends and gusset everything and finish weld everything but its coming along nicley.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
got some pictures of the bumper i built, hope you guys like it.

and some more updated pics

and hope you guys dont mind but i took some pictures of my dads f250

it has a 4 inch lift with 35's and a 4" stright pipe, i love this truck!

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
ill possibly paint it white one day but no chrome, dont realy want to put money into it right now, but i also want a roof rack with a couple lights on it and some other things, i just need some money lol

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
havent posted in a while so i took some more pictures of the ranger flexing ( hardly), but i have been getting it muddy everynow and then, but i turns out a bent the driver side axle so that needs to be replaced soon. but here are the pictures-

and if sloue or alwaysfloored could post where they have been off road around here that would be great because this one spot is getting boring. thanks and enjoy the pics

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I never did any 4x4 when I was living there. There used to be gravel pits we would party at.... And down by the river? You might have to go across to maple ridge or mission, there are probably good hills back there. I don't like to send you to another site but you should get a hold of someone on here; http://bb.bc4x4.com/index.php
Good luck,

Richard

181 - 200 of 220 Posts