Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wonted to make some stainless steel long arm brackets and some one told me that you can not use stainless on suspension brackets i was told it would crack and brake i was wondering if any one would no anything about this i don't really trust the person it came from but no one i talked to could give a definite answerer. and i cant find anything supporting this ether.

·
Registered
984 Posts
seems to me i have heard that ss is a noo for stressed out parts not docil enough dont q me on that but i think i rember being told that back in the day . ill be looking in on that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok then i really had my heart set on some polished brackets they would have looked sweet and would not of had to be cleaned constantly like chrome

·
Registered
984 Posts
PlumCrazy said:
Stainless is harder than mild steel, which means it is also more brittle.
yep thats what i was getting at . i talked to a boiler maker yesterday and he laugh at me for asking so that would be a denfinate no no.
cvalcore said:
ok then i really had my heart set on some polished brackets they would have looked sweet and would not of had to be cleaned constantly like chrome
steel polishes up nice a coupel coats of good clear, not as bitchen as ss but...... JUST a note on chrome on suspension parts i would not do it . i learnded this when i was a street demond. i have seen a few broken chrome springs and ladder bars tie rods in my time . some thing to do with the chroming makes the **** brittle just what i have ssen in my years .

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont no about cheaper that new real crome paint is very pricy and its not like regular paint you have to spray it like no other paint ive been told

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok ill let you no. i dont really like crome i mean i like crome but hate the high maint of it and when it gets rusty you have to spend a ton in recromeing it

·
Registered
281 Posts
When I sandblasted my intake, I wanted to paint it to look like raw aluminum. I bought some "aluminum" paint from the store and it was almost as perfect as you could expect chrome to look out of a spray can. I had to re-sandblast it because it wasn't the look I was going for but I was impressed with the quality for a spray can chrome.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts