Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive got to put a new motor in my 94 im guessing the old one blew. it wont do nothig but cluck and before that it went clunk clunk boom then lots of oil lol. but its the 4.0 so to the question all i hear is bad about the 4.0 is it really as bad as people say? did i walk into a nightmare? how hard is it to change? has ne one post the steps on how to yet or is this something im going to have to post?!!!!!! thank you

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Welcome to fr.net
To bad it's a problem that brought you but we're glad to help.
AFAIK you would be first to do a write up. Take lots of pics. Take lots of notes too as it makes it easier when you do a write up.

Richard

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i can do that but no it wasnt the motor problem that brought me google did lol found it by mistake and ive never had ne bad luck joining a forum meeting new people and learning new thing one can never learn too much lol thank you and im sure here to stay. well might as well use this as well hi every one.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Welcome to the site!

The 4.0 really isn't a terrible motor. People typically down it because it's such a gas hog.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
welcome glad you found us for sure. its just a motor dont let it detour you from taking on the project

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i really wanted to do something diffrent other then building race cars they always seem to get me into trouble. but neway whats the stock hp on the 4.0.im selling my lincoln mark 7 to do this whole project most hate it but im thinking of bagging it and some wild paint job.ne one have ne ideas for this project

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well lets put it this way if it well help win show but still lets me drive it and not be a trailer boy then im up for it painting and auto customs is nothing new but running out of ideas. and this will be my first lowrider ive built (for my self that is) and what all is there out there for the motor wise seeming hows i posted it there might as well have a reason for it being here lol

·
Registered
711 Posts
Welcome bro!
to answer some of your questions;
Valve rockers and upper pushrods don't get good oil supply, causing wear and a noisy valvetrain. replacing these parts is common in older engines. Also somewhat prone to blown head gaskets. i still think they are a great engine though if properly maintained.

here is your horse power.
91-94-----155HP the Limited edition explorer had 170HP
95-01-----205HP
02-10-----210HP

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i found the head gaskets thing out the hard way how do you get better oil flow to the top end ?people keep telling me there not pron to the gaskets thing there prone to cracking heads but cast dont really crack that easy. so heres a question do they make a stronger oil pump?what yr 4.0 did the plastic upper intake for the ranger/explorer thats the new motor ive got to put in it.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I'm pretty sure the plastic upper intake was 95-01 assuming you have an OHV motor. The 02-10 4.0's were SOHC.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya ohv im not even looing for that head ach swap to sohc

·
Registered
583 Posts
here is your horse power.
91-94-----155HP the Limited edition explorer had 170HP
95-01-----205HP
02-10-----210HP
Sorry, but I am 99% positive that the 4.0 did not have 205 hp in 95. The 4.0 OHV pretty much had 160 hp for most of the years it was in production. It was found in Rangers up until 2001 where it got the 4.0 SOHC. 91-94 Explorers had the same engine with the 160 hp rating. 95-01 Explorers also had this engine available in them, but in 1997, the SOHC 4.0 became an option. The SOHC engine was rated at 207 hp, but I am not sure on this.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok heres the specs been surching for bout 20 min. now 91-94 4.0 160 hp 95 - i have no idea is still 160hp but the sohc lists 207hp but all the specs very at different rms to as much as 205 in all but the sohc witch is still higher but the new rangers body is nice i sure want one.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how do i get better oil flow and is there a oil pump upgrade? and if so where can i get it?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
welll becuz you have a 94 my drop beams wont work unless you got the older brake set up but i have the airbagit.com beams for a early 80s ranger

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i seen you had them for sale and was tring to find out how to convert so i can use em but will they make the truck lower for bags to la frame?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
its the three inch drop beams and the difference between our newer beams and the older beams is our beams dont hold the ball joint and the older beams do hold the ball joints

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats a bummer

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
ya sure is cuz i would have been dropping one of my ranger already

1 - 20 of 22 Posts