Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Ranger,5 speed manual,2.3 liter (i believe cant remember right now.)Here lately ive noticed that if i am in first gear and take my foot off the gas (fast or slow)i get a series of small pops from the tailpipe.It started with it just doing it in first but then went to when i would change from first to second i get one pop.I know it has to be fuel related but what gives?Possible causes?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Hmmm... that's strange. My buddy's old 95 2.3L kinda made a "gurgling" sound when he would shift.

Is your computer throwing any codes or a check engine light?

It may have something to do with backpressure...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would suspect a lean condition. As Rngrdanny22 asks, have you tried to pull codes yet? That would help.

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No guys i have not tried pulling codes yet.I had to change the Instrument cluster/Before i did the lcheck engine light was on but after it was not.That tells me the bulb is bad.I did fail to mention that this truck has near 250,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I would definitely try to run the codes. I believe Advance Auto Parts and Autozone can do this for you at no charge. If you decide to do that, let us know the codes you receive and we can see if we can find a solution for you.

Congrats on 250,000 miles! That's a great accomplishment and goes to show you how durable these little trucks really are!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Also Schucks/O'Reillys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love this truck.That is also coming from a guy who use to be die hard chevy.I am going tomorrow to see what codes pop up and i will let you all know what i find out and the codes that come with it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
wow i should have posted sooner but when i shortin my tail pipe or have an exhaust leak it will suck in cold air and make it pop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts