Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No offence to anyone out there, but cosmetic mods or bolt on kits bore the hell out of me. I like cutting, grinding, welding, etc. The more 'real' modding the better.:) So I'm gonna post some tricks I've learned along the way for discussion. First one is the Singh Grooves. Anyone ever heard of them? Better yet, anyone tried them? The theory behind it is to create a more turbulent mixture in your combustion chamber to help thwart detonation. Every single 2.9 or 4.0 Ranger I've been in pinged it's brains out under load. So this could be a way to get rid of it. I don't put an engine together without adding the grooves. Does it help? Damned if I know.. But I can tell you one thing.. I've never had an engine ping since I found out how to do them. I don't have a Ranger head lying around, but I do have one I have 90% completed for my Harley Sportster. So it will give you a good idea what the grooves look like.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I sure would be interested in the theory on this mod. I can't think of how it would help. Somehow controlling the pressure spike, maybe by keeping burned gasses in the grooves, sorta egr? Or maybe creates turbulence using wave dynamics [ I'm picturing a pebble in a pond, and the groove redirects the 'pressure' wave]? I'm going to research this. Thanks for the interesting info!

Richard

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What it does is swirl up the combustion chamber so there is no 'dead' spots. Slow moving or dead spots is where detonation is likely to occur. It also allows burning of the mixture in the quench area which is hard to burn. The theory is that you have a quench gap of roughly 0.060" instead of the conventional 0.030 (give or take).

·
Registered
984 Posts
??? looks like a place for the head to crack now, is this a new thing. i have been involved in racing for all my life .from drag to roundy round to dune buggy's and have never seen that in any race prepped motor . then again there is lots i have not seen. will be looking into this. thank you for the post new **** is always good to have in the lunch box.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's relatively new.. As in the last 10 years or so. I just stumbled across it about 2 or 3 years ago myself. I have never read of the head cracking because of them. If the groove is dressed properly then there is nowhere for a crack to start. Try a search on www.speedtalk.com and www.turbobricks.com . There used to be a website called www.mpgresearch.com... Unfortunently it's not up anymore. There was a ton of usefull info on there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, I know about the Singh grooves, most American gearheads will not give a second look because noone wants to admit they dont know everything about ICE's, however worldwide it is being used very commonly by DSM tuners and the like. I would like to know what your results were?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts