Ford Ranger Forums banner

shutting off after warming up

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  sloue 
#1 ·
well i was gonna put this in the v6 section, but this can probably happen to v8s and 4bangers too

so anyways, i bought a 88 bronco2 this fall, she needed a fuel pump, so i put a pump in her and she fired up, she been siting for probably 3-5 months at least before i got her. so i got her running, put on all new fuel lines and filter, and after she gets warmed up, she shuts off. then ill wait for her to cool off and then try her again and she will go perfect
any ideas what causing this guys? ???
thanks

#4 ·
sloue said:
yea tfi thats the name! thank dude ;D
is that what you were talking about in the PM? if so what the hell is a tfi haha

#5 ·
tfi = thick film ignition module. iirc it's in one of two places, gray; on side of distributor, or black; remote mounted on drivers side beside headlight. Don't know for sure, but they look the same on all motor sizes that I've seen, so may be able to interchange.
Richard

#8 ·
oooh yea . the old hei coils did . not real sure on the new stuff. but i do know that the tfi deally does do it . i just pulled it off ,on my 2.8 it was on the dizzy . and a smear of dielectric grease and good to go.

#10 ·
the interia switch is already bypassed. could anybody be a doll and explain how to remove the tfi i have no idea

#11 ·
fordzilla said:
the interia switch is already bypassed. could anybody be a doll and explain how to remove the tfi i have no idea
it a pita. there is two screws holding on. they are pain to get at but they are there. once you get those out then gently push down to unplug from dizzy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.