Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 ranger edge pulled rear left drum and WOW gunk city all i can say I'm kind a newbie to working on cars but seems like im ok if i follow ciltons and listen on here so Any advice from anybody out there????
Thank Again

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I would say get some brake parts spray cleaner from a local auto store. Should help clean up the gunk a good bit.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It's not hard, go for it. As long as your in there you may want to add a shim to make a cheap limited slip or if it already is a LS, rebuild it.

Richard

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ow do i remove bearings and press them back in i replaced axle seals but noticed i need bearing soon and its time now lol

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It's been 30+ years since I did one, so double check this info as it may be outdated :)
When I did my 9" IIRC I torched off the old bearing race- the part that seems stuck to the axle. You may be able to heat expand it and slide it off but I couldn't. For putting the new one on, put the bearing in an oven [I guess 350*]for 1/2 hour to let it expand and drop it over the axle. The axle should be standing on end as you do this. A REALLY good idea is to find a piece of pipe that will fit over the axle but isn't so big that it hits the middle or outer race in case the new bearing needs a love tap to find it's final resting place.
Good luck,

Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts