Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent last weekend in Calgary, Alberta at a school for rally race driving. It was great and I learned about "left foot braking", how to apply brakes in order to help the car corner better and the dynamics of front, rear and all wheel drive vehicles in cornering in a rally race. I think that this will help me out immensely in my efforts to win in short course off road truck racing and I think it'll help in all styles of racing that I attempt.
Here is a letter I wrote to the school, Vertigo Racing;
"Hi Jorge,
I wanted to thank you and all the others for a great week-end of learning. I hope that you can find another spot to use. I've thought of approaching Red Deer city and/or other close by towns for help in acquiring land for racing and practicing purposes, but I'm sure you have already pursued that line.
You asked for feed back on a sheet that you handed out on the last day. I'd like to add to that. I mentioned that it would have been less waiting time for us if you had two sets of cones to practice the first two exercises, though it did give me some time to review my last pass in each exercise, so maybe thats not a big deal. I wish I'd known that it would have been OK to bring my race truck out for the winter session as I think I would have gotten that much more out of your teaching.
And finally I'd like you to pass on apologies to [sorry, I can't remember his name, but the tall, blond, frenchman] for not realizing that he hadn't finished putting on his seat-belt. My inattention could have caused a very real problem and I will not do that again. Kudos to him for being able to still give advise after what I'm sure was a scary ride.
Again, thanks for teaching me and I hope to race against you in the future."
Yeah, I was a little excited and took off with-out checking to make sure that the passenger was ready....ooops.
I'd highly recommend a course like this for any one considering racing and even just to be a better driver. In fact, I think it should be a prerequisite for anyone getting their drivers license. But I also think that the insurance companies and provincial and federal governments should sponsor the training as they are the ones that reap the most benefits from such a school; the insurance companies pay less because there would be less accidents and the government would pay less in medical expenses.

Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I wish there were places like that around here.. always wanted to start racing. there is a race that goes on around here every summer but its just cars racing around a paved track, no trucks or dirt tracks or anything.

thats as exciting as it gets here

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a track like that not far from me too. It's pretty cheap way to start. Costs about C$1,000.00 to be on the track and BE racing. If I hadn't already sunk so much into my truck that's what I would do!

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts