Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I want to change my tranny to a 5 speed. Do you guys have any suggestions? I been cruising Craigslist, but only ran into one f150 5 speed, which seems to be gone. Is there any other vehicles that I can use the tranny out of?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Wait, I thought that you're F-150 was already a 5-speed? I'm confused. But to answer your question, a F-250 trans might work, don't know for sure though.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
It's an early 90's model right? You may be able to use one out of a Bronco.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
West:
Its a 4 speed, thought it was a 5 speed, and I might check that out.

Bossman:
I searched for one, and no dices there. Would a Exploder work?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Didn't even think about it being a 4-speed. lol. You can also try car-part.com and just put in a newer truck into the search. I don't know how many junkyards there are around you though.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Explorers probably wont work as they were mostly equipped with V6's. The 302 Explorer transmissions might work (they are 4R70W, but they are auto's).

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea I will look into it somehow.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The manual trans you are looking for is a m5od-r2. At least that is what I was told for my truck. And make sure it'll bolt up to the motor, AFAIK they don't have a removable bell housing. Apparently the 4.2l has the same bolt pattern as the 302ci/351w/351c and the 351m is the same as the 460.

Richard

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I was just looking at that. Thanks for confirming it, anyways I'm going to look around for one.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to get my hands on a ZF S5-42 Transmission. Thats the one I have choosen.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
What does it come in?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ZF S542 and S547
The S 542 Heavy duty 5 speed fully synchronized transmission with aluminum case and extension housing. The bell housing is integral to the case. Shifter is mounted to small shift cover on top of unit. Built in 2 and 4WD versions. This unit is used in Ford F250, F30, F450, and Super duty trucks from 1987-94. The Super duty model has a mechanical park brake assembly mounted to the extension housing. The S542 is found behind 300, 302, 351, 460, and diesel power plants. The S547 unit is used behind the same engines from 1995 to present. Both units have PTO covers on each side of case. On the left side of the case is mounted and ID tag, which gives the Ford Part number, the ZF part number and the unit serial number. Great care should be taken to properly identify the unit you are working on as both the S542 and S547 appear to be the same and with the great variety of ratios available, it is easy to order the wrong parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts