Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Ranger rear wheel drive 2.3
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I bought this truck about 6 months ago. It would not Idle, you would have to give it gas constantly. I took it to a mechanic who I know and explained my budget restrictions and he is a friend so he said he would help. He ended up replacing the Catalytic converter, the oxygen sensors, plugs, wires, a new battery and some other miscellaneous equipment. The truck ran and sounded great, bit it still had a CEL when I ran the code it said system to lean I asked about it and was told it's not a big deal if I am not trying to go through DEQ, okay. The CEL started blinking and the truck was running poorly and the guy is a friend of my ex's and it's just not a situation that I can continue to engage in comfortably. I have severe budget restrictions so like an idiot I kept driving and pulling codes on my own. I ended up replacing all the plugs and wires, the Catalytic converter blew a hole in the pipe so I replaced that and the oxygen sensors, I replaced the purge flow valve and solenoid along with new hoses. I ran it last night and it was extremely rough with a ton of smoke and it smelled like it was not happy. I expect that due to the fact that I found fuel in the air filter housing ( just a bit) I have found a couple connectors on the passenger side of the motor compartment that are female connections and I can't find anything that should plug into them. I am running out of money and my work depends on a truck, I haven't been able to work in 2+ weeks. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
94 xlt 5 speed, 2010 xlt extended cab A/t
6 Posts
Have you checked fuel pressure? Did you check the fuel regulator?

·
Registered
6 Posts
pull vac hose off regulator on fuel rail ...if it has fuel in the hose reg is ruptured

·
Registered
1997 Ranger rear wheel drive 2.3
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do, I am flushing the coolant now so I will check that, however I am leaning towards a bad pcm. Altogether I have replaced the IAC valve, purge flow valve and solenoid along with the hoses, pvc, Camshaft position sensor, plugs,wires thoroughly cleaned the throttle body, the maf. I did check the injectors to make sure they are working, but this thing keeps throwing codes for things I know are good as well as it will run great intermittently. It seems like it will either run rough when I start it and then get better or am it will run great when I start it and progressively get worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the reg is ruptured the plugs will be black like charcoal. Also open up the fuse panel box and check the pcm and fuel pump relays make sure they are making a good connection in the socket where they plug in. . They dont cost that much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts