Ford Ranger Forums banner

Painting Brake Drums

10K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Olfordtruck 
#1 ·
Im am starting to paint my brakes and I decided to start with the drums since they never get any love. I dont really like it when people do bright colors that stand out on drums cuz drums arent exactly anything great, Because of that I decided to go with some Wrinkle Black paint:

I first clean liberally with the brake cleaner to get any crap off. Once that dried I started with the VHT paint. I had to do heavy coats every 10 minutes and I ended up doing 6 coats of it. I have to say I love how they turned out. I only got the passenger rear done today but Ill be working on them soon. Check out the pics:

First coat....I love how colorful my rear axle assembly is with the cover, shocks, and drum.

Almost done

All Done!

Before the paint:

After with wrinkles!

And you dont really realize how big 31s are until you take one off for the first time and lay it down(especially after you have always had stock tires)

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! I knew it would look pretty cool going into painting but it actually turned out better than I thought it would.

#5 ·
BADINTEN said:
wow bro you need to get laid you just fingered your tire lol but the paint looks ok i just used rattle can bed liner to paint the sides of my dodge i will have to take some pics it came out really good
:D LOL...

Looks great, probably get the dirt off a little quicker with the hose and no worries about the rust. I got mine coated with the engine block paint to keep the rust from coming back.

The job'll be sending me out for the last week of January to ride on the Truman out of Norfolk

#7 ·
Airtruksrus said:
The job'll be sending me out for the last week of January to ride on the Truman out of Norfolk
Sweet. Will you be in port much?

I can get pore pics of the rear axle up here tomorrow. Im at ODU for the rest of the night so ill do it first ting in the morning.

And BTW, my truck is going to be on local news as an advertisement for a big Toys for Tots show here in the Hampton Roads area. Hopefully I can record it and take pics of the TV from it!

#8 ·
That looks sweet man I'm doing that soon to with the same stuff looks good already

#10 ·
looks good ;D and i do it all the time. make sure you paint the drums off the truck or you might have a hell of a time getting them off later. ever seen a window painted shut . this happened to me and dame i had to fight wire wheel and beat the **** out of the drums to get them off. just my experience. and keep in mind when doing this brake dust is not so good for you. :exclaim:

#11 ·
I ceaned the **** off of them before I did it and I put tape on the edge around the back side before hand to prevent paint from getting down in there and seal it up. haha, that would suck....but give a good excuse to get an explorer 31 sline with rear rotors. haha

#12 ·
looks good. i like that paint

sloue said:
looks good ;D and i do it all the time. make sure you paint the drums off the truck or you might have a hell of a time getting them off later. ever seen a window painted shut . this happened to me and dame i had to fight wire wheel and beat the **** out of the drums to get them off. just my experience. and keep in mind when doing this brake dust is not so good for you. :exclaim:
and something i seen before is painting your disc brake. hahahah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.