Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having a issue with truck o/d flashing and not spitting up a code also after truck at stop waiting 5 seconds of stopping truck slams into neutral i wanna say that or drive im thinking either valve body or solenoid but which one tranny is a 5r55e on a 2002 ranger 3.0l

I just want to thank you for all your help through this mission on rebuilding tranny

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
When my valve body needed replacing (the second time the transmission went out), it would take forever to shift out of first and second gear and would never shift into fifth. When my transmission first went out, I had the flashing O/D light and was told that it was a solenoid.

Seeing that my transmission had to be rebuilt a second time (for the valve body), I'm unsure if the transmission guy was right or not. What he told me is that solenoids typically dont just "go out". They fill up with debris from other parts of the transmission.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just adjusted drive bands tonight seemed to shift a little bit smoother but once transmission heated up after drive at 40-60 mph for couple miles fan was spinning hard you hear it reeving and ten when come to stop bang downshifting real hard again i guess gonna have to try valve body thanks

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the valve body to me. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so far so good dropped pan for 5 th time changed filter added new fluid and checked torque on valve body and was not to spec adjusted to spec which i belive is 8-11 in/lbs seems to b running smoother only bad downshift once gonna do a highway run 2morrow see what happens just seems when transmission gets hot when its happening like i said will see on real test 2morrow thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
This sounds almost exactly like what I'm goin thru at the moment. 2000 Ranger 3 spd auto w/ O/D, 3.0 V-6, 165,000.

Started this Saturday. Stays in 1st for a long time and shifts hard into 2nd and them almost immediatley into 3rd. No O/D or at least is feels like it's not in gear. Manually shifting helps a little. O/D light does not come on until it has been driven at least 5 miles under normal conditions. If i drive real easy it helps.

Any help is appreciatted and thanks for having this forum.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i went throguh whole rebuild process was a nightmare first time doing it i had a slight tear in my vb gasket was whole problem check it out migth be a simple fix
theres a thread on one of these forum diary of a valve body
google it it will come up how i found it very helpful!!!! good luck ill give any info i can help with

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
So the tear in the valve body gasket was causing the problem?

Richard

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes sir after the rebuild and fixing all the pepto bismo in my tranny after tranny cooler went yea what was problem whole time lol thx for all the help

·
Registered
2 Posts
O/D light flashing

This sounds almost exactly like what I'm goin thru at the moment. 2000 Ranger 3 spd auto w/ O/D, 3.0 V-6, 165,000.

Started this Saturday. Stays in 1st for a long time and shifts hard into 2nd and them almost immediatley into 3rd. No O/D or at least is feels like it's not in gear. Manually shifting helps a little. O/D light does not come on until it has been driven at least 5 miles under normal conditions. If i drive real easy it helps.

Any help is appreciatted and thanks for having this forum.

I have the same problem with the same year, same engine, sames milage. When my light flashes, I have no overdrive. All other gears are ok. Did you ever resolve this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 Ranger 3.0 V-6, 152000 miles.
Same symptons exactly as yours. Here is what I had:
Torque converter was toast, it had been slipping. Trouble code verified Torque converter slipping. computer matches output of Torque Converter to output of tranny. when this does not match it flashes od light and increases pressure to try to correct, thus making hard shifting. A total rebuild was perforemed and it works better than new. Caution, get a good mechanic who knows what he is doing and a rebuild kit. This is not cheap,, but it corrects problem.

good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts