Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone i have a 97 ford ranger 4 wheel drive with the 4.0. I have been having alot of problems with the front end so far i replaced. Universal joints in axle shafts both sides ball joints upper lower both sides the whole tie rod. Everything seems good and tight but i still get a popping noise when i turn the wheel the truck only has 110 thousand miles on it. Does anyone here have any idea of what is going on im totally lost. Your input is greatly appreciated thanks jeff.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Welcome to F.R.
I'm not that good at diagnosing something unless it's happened to me already, and I haven't had this problem. That said, maybe more info would help someone else to help you. Does the popping sound happen just once or is it a series of popping sounds? Does it happen turning in both directions, or just left or just right? Only when going slow or at speed? Anything that you can come up with that doesn't normally happen will help.
Good luck,

Richard

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happens only on right hand turns and when im stopped turning the wheel i only pops once then its fine. My brother told me it might be the sway bar i pound on the truck pretty hard in the mud so i guess it could be anything.

·
Registered
711 Posts
might be a hub.

·
Registered
585 Posts
i dont think it would be the sway bar because i dont think the sway bar moves when turning. what i would do is have a friend look under there when your turning it and go from there, you might even see it pop or aleast hear it better

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
welcome and i would kinda do what white says. have someone under it like you as you turn the wheel left and right lock to lock. bounce on the bumper to see if you can see anything but it could very well be your radius arm bushing i just fixed an f 150 that had the same prob. you can also stand next to it as some one puts it in reverse and backs up a foot and than put it in drive and pull up a foot hitting the brake kinda hard to see if the wheel jumps forward or out of place

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Also, what size tires do you have? When I switched my 97 over to 31x10.50 tires, they would slightly scrub the front fender flare when turning and would make a single "pop" sound.

·
Registered
655 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rngrdanny22 said:
Welcome to the site!

Also, what size tires do you have? When I switched my 97 over to 31x10.50 tires, they would slightly scrub the front fender flare when turning and would make a single "pop" sound.
I have 31s on it as of right now. My front springs are wore out so it sits a inch lower than what it should in the front. But i never had this problem with it before and the tires are no where near rubbing on the fender. Now that i recall when i had the front end jacked up on the passenger side front tire was a little bit loose. But it wasn't enough to cause it to make a popping sound. I had to replace the wheel nuts and locking washers on both sides because they are problematic. I'm just getting so sick of the ifs twin i beem setup i'm thinking about converting to a solid front axle but i don't know how hard it would be. There should be a how to thread on how to do a solid front axle swap on here.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I'm in the middle of an SAS right now actually on my 97. Plumcrazy just finished his (I think his is a 96 or 97 model as well).

I'm planning to take plenty of pictures when I start working on mine again, but I've already removed all the suspension an it currently sits on a leaf-sprung front axle. I'm about to convert to a coil-spring front.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats cool what kind of axle are you using what is it out of?. I found out what my clunking noise was comming from and its really kind of funny. I went to the mechanic today he said my pitman arm needed to be replaced but that didn't sound right to me. So i got underneath of it and started pulling on stuff the castle nut on the drag link going up to the pitman arm was loose. So i tightened it good as new no more popping sounds its nice to have a easy fix now and then.

·
Registered
711 Posts
nice! glad you found it. sometimes tracking down the culprit will make you rip your hair out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i thought it was funny how they were trying to tell me it was the pitman arm that was bad. And they were going to charge me 330 dollars parts and labor.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
glad you fixed it and just an fyi the ttb on the pre 97 fords are some of the best every made tons of ppl have them custom built onto there chevys all the time

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
junkranger97 said:
Thats cool what kind of axle are you using what is it out of?.
I'm using a front Dana 44 from an 86 Jeep Wagoneer. The rear axle is a disc brake rear Dana 44 from a 95 Isuzu Rodeo.

I'm going to be modifying the front D44 from a leaf-sprung axle to a coil-sping setup just like the Early Bronco D44. Basically, I have all the parts, just got to find the time to get working on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts