Ford Ranger Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,...my name is Dewey,and I am a new member. I'm seriously considering a new Ranger,but would like to know how has the reliability been on the new 2019 and up models. I've read way too many MIXED reviews on the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon to even want to trust that brand,..and I'm not quite sure I want a foreign made truck(Toyota). My last two vehicles have been Fords,and both have given me EXCELLENT service in terms of reliability. I currently drive a 2015 Ford Escape,...before that,2011 Ranger. Consumer Reports recommends the Ranger,..but not the two GM models.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hello,...my name is Dewey,and I am a new member. I'm seriously considering a new Ranger,but would like to know how has the reliability been on the new 2019 and up models. I've read way too many MIXED reviews on the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon to even want to trust that brand,..and I'm not quite sure I want a foreign made truck(Toyota). My last two vehicles have been Fords,and both have given me EXCELLENT service in terms of reliability. I currently drive a 2015 Ford Escape,...before that,2011 Ranger. Consumer Reports recommends the Ranger,..but not the two GM models.
Hi,
Long time Ford Guy also…..Former Ford/Lincoln/Mercury technician also. I’m partial to older GM vehicles too.I own a 2018 Edge & I bought my 2019 Ranger Lariat in December2022 , leased it new in 2019. Has 37k on it now and is my daily, so far it’s not too bad. It doesn’t like to shift well until engine and trans temp are basically normal, has been that way from day 1. Rear shocks were replaced due to looseness on lower mounting brackets which were rattling over bumps. Other than that it’s been a good truck…..you can’t compare these to the older one….totally different beast! Mileage is decent , I have a heavy foot and love the 270hp(will probably do the 310hp upgrade soon) and it averages about 19mpg. Tows nice, ride is pretty good for a pick up too. I hate the Hankook tires in the rain, hydroplanes, ass end kicks out if you’re not careful need to find a decent all around tire. I also take it on the beach and it performs pretty nicely.
No reliability issues so far. I did some research before purchasing and didn’t see too many major issues besides the 10speed transmission doing some funky stuff, apparently it’s a shared design with GM and they suffer similar concerns. As a tech I understand you can’t be too erratic with forced downshifts and similar , it just confuses the controller logic a bit. So knowing that I try and avoid erratic throttle input. Otherwise it’s a great truck.
hope that helps!
Happy New Year!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts