Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new here and have a few questions.....hopefully they aren't to stupid. ;) but anyways im looking at buying my first truck definitely has to be a 4x4 I like the older style rangers like 88-91 but i want to know what to look for in these trucks to makes sure i get a good one. Also not sure if i should get a 5spd or AOD trans I most definitely love to drive a 5spd but is it good for off-roadin and muddin such or should I just go ahead and get a AOD???

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Welcome aboard!

You have a great taste in year-model Rangers. Since they are getting older, definitely check and make sure there are no rust issues. I would recommend getting a 5-spd...

·
Registered
712 Posts
welcome from ut i would recomend a 5 speed if its a 4cylinder or a 2.9 but if its a 4.0 one go with the automatic

·
Registered
583 Posts
Welcome from Michigan. Personally, I would get the 5-speed no matter what the engine. I am just one of those people that cannot stand automatics.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Welcome.
I'd pick the 5-speed. The only auto I had in an '86 2.9 Ranger was garbage, rebuilt by a tranny shop C$2000.00 and it lasted a year and a bit :mad:. I think the aod is in the bigger trucks, I think it's the a4ld in the rangers and b-II's. The later years they fixed some of the problems but they still don't have a good rep.
Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay well i have been looking around and i can find any decent Rangers in that year so i have expanded my horizion to some of the newer model rangers like the 00-04 what are some of the pros and cons to these Rangers... West I too am one of those people who cant stand AODs but ill drive on if i have to. Just with a manual trans i feel more in control of my vehicles

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
the 01-04 Rangers are very solid vehicles... the best part is, you can usually pick up a solid 4x4 for $8K or less...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts