Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 Ranger, 5 sp manual with a bad 2.8 motor. I have a 3.0 from a 1992 Taurus that I plan to install. I have the complete car so I will be able to use the wiring harness, etc. What automatic (besides one in a Ranger) will work with this installation? Thanks

·
Registered
984 Posts
ford mini van or some ****. put up pics of that motor i want to how you get a fwd car motor to work in a ranger.i looked at this option once and decided that a v8 swap would be less hassle

·
Registered
583 Posts
You can use a fwd motor in a ranger, just you won't be able to use the trans. Unbolt the fwd trans and install a rwd trans and your good to go. Some auto trans that came in Rangers are the 4r44e, 4r55e, A4od, and manual trans had the M5OD

·
Registered
559 Posts
The 3.0 that came in Rangers was originally designed for the Taurus. Any trans from a 3.0 Ranger will work. The 3.0 doesn't share a bolt pattern with any other RBV motors. Also you should probably look into finding the wire harness from a 3.0 Ranger that way its all plug and play.

·
Registered
583 Posts
^^^ I didn't know that the 3.0 had a different bolt pattern. I just assumed it was all the same. Good info to know.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Lima 2.3's and Lima 2.5's share a pattern
2.8's, 2.9's and 4.0 OHV's share a pattern. The SOHC 4.0 has one bolt different at the 2 o'clock position, a SOHC 4.0 M50D HD tranny has an extra hole so it can go on either 4.0, but a regular M50D from an OHV 4.0 wont work on a SOHC 4.0.

3.0's don't share any patterns
Duratec 2.3's don't share any patterns

·
Registered
984 Posts
i was going to do this i have 4 of 5 of the fuckers . yes the block will go in but then what .,intake exhaust cooling system fuel the list goes on . the heater and rad hose connections end up in the cab? dont want to sound like a dick but i phycicaly checked this out. right in my own shop . thats why i have a v8 in my truck. but then i am sloue

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
sloue said:
thats why i have a v8 in my truck. but then i am sloue
LOL

·
Registered
984 Posts
where you go tall ranger :( i want to see how this is going to work :-X

1 - 10 of 10 Posts