Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a few months back again before i had alcoas

Got bored on my lunch, so i jumped in the truck and went to the observation area at work to take some pics. Heres where i work. Its the world's largest open faced granite quarry located in Mt. Airy, NC (better known as Mayberry from The Andy Griffith Show). NC Granite Corp. (my company) has been getting granite continuously out of this quarry since 1889 without interruption. There is enough granite there to last another 600 years or more ast the rate we cut at. We only cut and AVERAGE of 1" a year off the top. It goes down a couple of miles and is quite a few acres. here is the history http://www.surry.k12.nc.us/mtrail/quarry.htm. We have provided granite for such things such as WWII memorial, Wright Brothers Memorial, most granite curbing in new England states, etc....and many more i dont kow about! I am a draftsman there. i draw out the stone for fabrication. BTW, i also got RF stickers on, just have got the camera back! they look FREAKING awesome, by far my favorite mod!

The Quarry:

One of the waterjets cutting granite blocks out! this thing has some crazy PSI!! it has to use ruby (I think) tips as they are the only things that can stand up to the pressure!

Pics in front of quarry at overlook area:

Hood Shot:

Access Road to Overlook Area:

Building i work in. It was built in 1924!:

Truck in front of my building

Chair we can make:

Slabs of granite for customer review:

Crated slabs ready to be shipped, probably granite pavers:

Raw slabs in holding area until time to cut:

Mayberry squad car that carries tourist around (no this is not our reg. squad cars, these are just for tourist to ride thru Mt airy in:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That job looks like it would be fun as hell! I sit at a desk... LOL

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rngrdanny22 said:
That job looks like it would be fun as hell! I sit at a desk... LOL
i sit at a desk too! i'm in the drafting department. i never see any of the fabrication plants

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I would have to agree i work for a pharmacuetical company i do building maintence so I'm always running around and when i'm not i'm at my desk....

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
i go to school, educate tourist at the aquarium, and work for the navy... my favorite part is when i drive the truck to and from each of them! haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts