Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's a really high pitch noise and it does it at a slow cost and it gets louder when i press on the gass pedel well driveing i took the rear end apart and the teeth are fine on the ring and pinion there are no metal shaveings in the old oil i put new oil into it and it went away for afew hours than came back but worse than before there was water in the old oil so i was wondering if it might be the bearings in there that are going bad if any one can plase enlightin me i would love that i'm new with my ranger i aint had it long i was a chevy man before but this ranger has made me a ford man so it's all new to me thanks again

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have a similar noise in my '97 f-150. At first I thought clutch/throw-out bearing but after listening narrowed it down to rear end. This happened after flat towing a truck a couple hundred miles. I figure it's too much 'backlash' (space between pinion and ring) but others with more knowledge will chime in. I have a spare rear end for when this one goes but it's been 5000 miles and still going.
Good luck
Richard

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well this all happend after a snowmobiler went out in front of me as i am driveing down a hill and i swurve to miss his so i don't kill him well there is 4 foot tall packed snow on the side of the road so my truck smashes it and goes about 40 feet down the hill sideways well i am fighting the steering to not flip my truck over the dumbass never stopped to see if i was ok so now my truck is almost on it's side on top of about 3 feet of packed snow and i aint going nowhere so i call my buddie with his duramax and the olny way to get it out was in 4 wheel drive and in reverse and him yanking me up hill not very gently by the way my rear bumper is bent from this now and after all this that noise started up

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
You say that water has gotten into your oil? If so, you may have a seal that is loose...

I know on my 97 when I had the old 8.8 axle in there I bent an axle shaft one time. Does you tire wobble a little bit when going down the road?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
hmmm... with as much money as it would probably cost to fix, you might be better off going ahead and swapping in the Explorer rear axle with discs ;D

And the thread title is hilarious by the way... LOL

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I was referring to this title:

my rear end keeps makeing this noise

LOL!

Well, the Explorer rear axle is also a Ford 8.8" axle. Your Eaton may also fit in that as well. I would hold off doing anything until Plumcrazy puts his two cents in. He's the man when it comes to this kind of stuff!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Re: my rear end keeps making this noise

some thing is bent or been pushed out of alignment jack it up block it real well and put it in drive and listen maybe can narrow it down my guess is bearings

·
Registered
559 Posts
To swap in and exploder 8.8 you will need to flop the perches over to the top and use a pass side caliper hose on both sides so you can run a "T" in the middle. The Exploder 8.8 is 31 spline where as the Ranger is 28, so your locker wont work in a Expo 8.8.

As far as diagnosing your axle goes, I would try what sloue said. If that doesnt help you any I would pull the cover off and check the tooth contact pattern to make sure you are still in spec.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts