Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK SO TODAY I WAS ABLE TO GRAB MY 64 RANCHERO. IT IS A LIL RUFFER THAN I REMEBER BUT **** ITS ON. SO THE PLANS TO STUFF MY 96 RANGER 2.3 AND A 5 SPEED LATER ADD POWER BRAKES POWER RACK AND PINION AND A TURBO. so with out further ado on to the pics for today.

p.s. any info you have on these 64 please pass it on to me im going in kinda blind lol.

so this is how i picked it up she already has disk brakes and converted to five lug it looks to be a ford 9" in the back also with ladder bars already on it and a custom made core support.

ok soat this point i started in on her. taking it apart and getting a look at it as well as taking the motor and trans out of what left of my off road ranger

now on to whats left of the ranger

so as it sits right now my clutch is fried i have to see what i can do about that. the crazy part is the factory motor mounts from the ranger are only 3/4 of an inch shy of fitting perfect i have not set the motor in yet but i will tomorrow night or morning **** whats today lol

EDIT EDIT 1/11/11 EDIT EDIT EDIT

·
Registered
984 Posts
Re: MY 64 RANGECHERO RANGER/ranchero

bitch-en car man . :eek: i wish .mustangs ,,fairlings ranchero, galaxies, falcons and so on all used the same under pinnings. in the front end. there are a huge amount of parts that inter change between them. have a good look at the rear looks like a 9 but ford in the day used a 8.5 that looked just like the 9 and you cant tell till you go to drop third members hit that wall once with a maverick. have disks but the master was not up graded you need to address that. need it all from master to proportioning valve .a ranger set up might just fit the bill for the upgraded master and parts . i had to do this to my mach one when i went to disks, i got lucky and found a donor car with what i need . but swapping in a master out of some thing else is easy the hardest part is making it look like it belongs . iam watch ing this one >:?

·
Registered
583 Posts
That thing looks pretty sweet. Way better looking than that other car/truck thing called an El Camino. lol. However, the 2.3 can't even hardly move a Ranger, much less something that weighs probably like 1-2000 pounds more. How long are planning on keeping it non-turbo before you build the engine?d

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I also really like this. Sloue covers the rear pretty good [snicker], only I remember the stock rear in my '68 Torino being an 8", not 8 1/2", and Galaxies were full size, they have different front suspension.... I know, I know it's nit-picking. If the car came stock with a hi-po motor, then it will have the 9" in there stock. There is a way to tell them apart but I don't remember....it's been over 30 years. Only suggestion I have is if you're keeping the slapper bar set up, extend it forward [with a bar that fit's inside is what I did] so that the rubber bumper hits the spring eye, not the spring. If it hits the spring, it will actually cause wheel hop. The rubber bumper IIRC is about 2" tall, and you can tune the 'air gap' by cutting it down similar to what I see in the pics, you can also extend it up with a little fab work if needed. I was racing 1/4 mile on the street back in the day and had 1/2" 'air gap'.
What are your plans for it? Lowrider?
Anyway, it's a great start.

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sloue said:
bitch-en car man . :eek: i wish .mustangs ,,fairlings ranchero, galaxies, falcons and so on all used the same under pinnings. in the front end. there are a huge amount of parts that inter change between them. have a good look at the rear looks like a 9 but ford in the day used a 8.5 that looked just like the 9 and you cant tell till you go to drop third members hit that wall once with a maverick. have disks but the master was not up graded you need to address that. need it all from master to proportioning valve .a ranger set up might just fit the bill for the upgraded master and parts . i had to do this to my mach one when i went to disks, i got lucky and found a donor car with what i need . but swapping in a master out of some thing else is easy the hardest part is making it look like it belongs . iam watch ing this one >:?
thanks bro i was thinking the same thing about the ranger booster myself. i looked online and seen that a geo metro is the most used for power brakes but i cant afford anything really on this build im useing every thing i have im going to try to use the ranger booster for sure . i do have to pull the third member cuz i see leaking anyways so i can take a look at it thanks for your imput its all needed

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
West said:
That thing looks pretty sweet. Way better looking than that other car/truck thing called an El Camino. lol. However, the 2.3 can't even hardly move a Ranger, much less something that weighs probably like 1-2000 pounds more. How long are planning on keeping it non-turbo before you build the engine?d
first as some know for a fact the 2.3 can move a ranger easy so motors are just not taking care of or as some put it the motors get the fatory friday special when they use what ever parts are there with lilttle care as to the out come of the motor cuz its the weekend. i have had rangers with good and bad 2.3.as it sits right now you could not me more wrong about the weight in this case. my ranger was weighted in june of 08 before it got tagged its weight with out driver and half tank of fuel was almost 3700 pounds with this 2.3 and 5 speed. the ranchero with its underpowered factory inline 6 and 3speed auto still weight over 1000 pounds less than the ranger did. now to top this off the ranger motor its self is 105 pounds lighter than the inline six is and the trans is for sure light but i dont have that number at this time. as for the turbo im a broke ass broke person so that is asap or as funds permit

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alwaysFlOoReD said:
I also really like this. Sloue covers the rear pretty good [snicker], only I remember the stock rear in my '68 Torino being an 8", not 8 1/2", and Galaxies were full size, they have different front suspension.... I know, I know it's nit-picking. If the car came stock with a hi-po motor, then it will have the 9" in there stock. There is a way to tell them apart but I don't remember....it's been over 30 years. Only suggestion I have is if you're keeping the slapper bar set up, extend it forward [with a bar that fit's inside is what I did] so that the rubber bumper hits the spring eye, not the spring. If it hits the spring, it will actually cause wheel hop. The rubber bumper IIRC is about 2" tall, and you can tune the 'air gap' by cutting it down similar to what I see in the pics, you can also extend it up with a little fab work if needed. I was racing 1/4 mile on the street back in the day and had 1/2" 'air gap'.
What are your plans for it? Lowrider?
Anyway, it's a great start.

Richard
im a rear guy myself something about safe sex is rear sex llol. as for the plans of lowering it im not sure i have my saleen 18 i would really like to fit on her but i know the offset is way wrong for this to happen im going to try any ways. the guys we got it from 2 years ago used it for drag racing so it was worked on a bit already and now that you brought it up i have never seen ladder bars that went both forward and backwards like this set does on one end it is right under the eyelet for the springs the other is like half an inch front touching the spring so ill lookin to that. the main this is how close this motor fits in so that what im off to look at right now thanks you all for the help keep it coming and ill have more pics tonight for sure

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I didn't notice the rubber bumper under the eyelet the first time I looked. I just ASSumed that it was the same set of ladder bars that I used way back, and when I look closer I can see that's not true. I've not seen the slapper extend back that far either. By the way, these are not ladder bars, as I know them they would be connected to either bushings or [can't think of the name] at the frame.

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya traction bars is the normal or torque bars your right ladders would normally be connected to the frame but in the end there all for the same thing to keep the rear end from twisting in hopes of better traction

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
BADINTEN said:
ya traction bars is the normal or torque bars your right ladders would normally be connected to the frame but in the end there all for the same thing to keep the rear end from twisting in hopes of better traction
Better traction....exactly. By the way, when I weighed my Torino with me and a big block in it, it was 3250 lbs. That was with no interior and no cage, just a seat. It was when I was young, stupid, 175 lbs and would live forever.

Richard

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
dude thats crazy! its like the cadillac of cars!

oh wait,,

its bad ass!

amongst my pile of magazines i was reading one day that ford used a 8" rear end way back. its pretty much the same its a 3rd member set up, it looks alot like a 9" idk if there are any ways to tell the difference between the 2 but there probably is and im sure some members here might know. thats a great project dude, glad to see you making progress like that

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mad alot of headway today will post pics tomorrow im beat and have to get up at 6 i found tons of rust test fit the motor started the motor mounts cut out almost all the rust and made a mess out side lol grease rust dirt water its all over.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fordzilla said:
dude thats crazy! its like the cadillac of cars!

oh wait,,

its bad ass!

amongst my pile of magazines i was reading one day that ford used a 8" rear end way back. its pretty much the same its a 3rd member set up, it looks alot like a 9" idk if there are any ways to tell the difference between the 2 but there probably is and im sure some members here might know. thats a great project dude, glad to see you making progress like that
thanks bro i kinda need to be able to drive this by next weekend so we will see how it works out lol

·
Registered
984 Posts
i stand corrected on the rear is a 8 dont know way i thought 8.5 any ways thank you Richard for clearing that up

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i hit another road block i need to lower the motor more atleast 2" but 3 would be best but the fucking steering link is right there so im going to see if i can have one custome made im adding pics right now but it will be in the first post and say edit and the date before the pics

·
Registered
984 Posts
never thought of keeping my old lady in the motor bay of a car . does that keep them in line pretty good. :question:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It can't be for extra horsepower, she's definitely not a horse. Though I'd ride that [ no disrespect intended ].

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol it was working great had the motor mounted and all but the motor open the hood in a fit of rage and walk out saying if i hit her with a whip one more time saying YA YA FASTER YA YA she would kick my ass lol thats funny **** guys

·
Registered
655 Posts
try to get her to go vroom vroom love the ride cant wait to see her finished keep them pics comming

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got both nissan wheels on the back now pic to come but the wheels will not fit in the front until i get the center board out the fuckin front always gets me even on the rangers any how that and the bastards flaired out the bed sides and to do that they cut a ton of metal out and the dirt now flys right into the cubby hole in the bed under the floor making more work for me to cover it up. made the trans mount and the motor mounts just have to go weld them up now and grind a bit to finish them. next is the floor i have to rebuild the floor like crazy but this time i will have it so i can unbolt the trans tunnel so it will make it easy to work on. and i have to rewire the whole truck lucky for me im going to use all the ranger wires to do so ( i.e. brake lights headlights and so on using the heater out of the ranchero just need a new heater switch and the light switch from the ranchero as well as the wipers and every thing

1 - 20 of 94 Posts