Ford Ranger Forums banner

Mustang scoop replacement

7K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Airtruksrus 
#1 ·
My friend hooked me up again with another awesome deal, a 69' mustang hood scoop from Ebay. Needs a little bit of fiberglass work but he needed this one since it had the turn signal light inserts in the back end of the scoop to go into the other scoop in better shape.
:p
Wanted to either take off the existing shaker scoop or use the original hood and do the same thing with the cutouts and air collector box under the hood to route the cold air to the filter box. This time it gets a good coat of the same acrylic enamel.

See less See more
#3 ·
Kinda figured this one went with the truck a heck of alot better than the shaker scoop. The one going on my friends 89 Ranger ext cab gave it a whole new look, definitely aggressive.

#5 ·
Dam this fiberglass repair job is goin slow, but it will be strong as hell. I might even be getting set up with a set of 17x9 mustang cobra rims ( if they fit ) coming up in June after the owner gets done using them at the burnout contest in the car show down in the Portland area. Probably be down there to get the video of the huge gathering. The scoop should be done by then. Need to make a mold of the scoop so that the carbon fiber mat can be laid up and formed up to the top surface of the scoop. Then shoot it with a coat of the acrylic enamel clear, can't work any faster than the epoxy and sanding will let it.

#7 ·
Pics are coming, found out last night there was a crap load of layered paint and spent 3 hours just wet sanding it off. I'll get the updates on cardomain later on tonight after work. Got a nice shot of the new mustang cobra wheels mounted up, looks dam good.

#8 ·
I guess the internet started picking up from the snails pace.

New wheels

That'll be one hell of a Ranger once the new paint finally goes on as well.

#10 ·
The pics have been coming slow, trying to do my daughter's car paint in alternation, but here is the hood and scoop just prior to cleaning up the defects in the clearcoat just sprayed over the last few days.
-

The carbon fiber was a royal pain to work with but the clear coat turns out awesome. :p

#11 ·
That looks really good man. I love the difference in color between the hood and scoop... really gives it a pop!

So what's next on the mod list? What type of car are you painting for your daughter?

#12 ·
rngrdanny22 said:
That looks really good man. I love the difference in color between the hood and scoop... really gives it a pop!

So what's next on the mod list? What type of car are you painting for your daughter?
The only thing in the works is getting the replacement slave cylinder for the clutch on a floating platform, wore out the last one due to not reading the instructions. Going to be working on getting some slightly larger tires for the mustang rims to get the speedometer calibrated, using the two worn out ones for the burn out contest this saturday at the car show in Sherwood, just south of Portland if all works out.

The rest of the panels on the truck will be getting painted one at a time after my daughters car gets done. She's got a 2003 Chevy Cavalier, loves the car, just hates the stock color. Trying to get Blue mettalic has been a real challenge to lay down properly without spontaneous fish eyes. No matter the type of surface, it still ends up the same, picked up some remover solution to mix into the paint, couple of drops per ounce and see how that works out.

#13 ·
The only thing that's left for now is getting the mustang wheels back on it.

Looks far meaner than the backwards shaker scoop.

#15 ·
Got a hold of some 17x9 Mustang Cobra rims, the same pic from a couple of earlier posts. They work great running the truck around town but with the small profile, suck really bad on the interstate with the grooves in the road and kept having to fight to keep the truck going straight all the way to Oregon and back. Will be looking at getting some 55 to 60 profile tires versus the 245/45/17's on for now. They also cut the mileage down to around 14 to 15.

Got an awesome chance to do an official timed burnout at the car show last Saturday using two of the tires that were really worn down. Found out that i could have started out in second gear (they wet down the tires prior) and ended up with more smoke than the first run. Unfortunately the Honda cbr1000 shredded their tire and won the whole thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.