Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a mustang gt 8.8 ls axle fit on my ranger? and if it will is it worth getting? and its from 1988-1993
Thanks, Dustin

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Yeah, definitely ask Plum... the axle may be a little more narrow than a Ranger axle too. Make sure you measure.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would it be the same as an explorer 8.8 like gearing wise or will it be different

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Mustang 8.8 is only 28 spline (just like a Ranger); whereas, the Explorer 8.8 is 31 spline. That just means the axle shafts are stronger. The ring and pinion should be the exact same.

Again, I'm not 100% sure. It's been a while since I've had to work on a Ford axle! I've had my Isuzu Rodeo D44 for about 4 years now! LOL

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
i might be wider but you will for sure have to weld on new shock mounts and spring pirches i have the cop car rear end and its way wider than the ranger. but i loved it. just use your tape you can make it work

·
Registered
180 Posts
ok here is how it is. first off mustangs are a link style axel w/ coil springs (so to use it you would need to put leaf spring spring perches on it), the mustang rear is wider than the ranger ones at least for those years. also you better make sure that it is a 8.8 and not a 7.5. mustangs are 28 spline unless it is a cobra. mustangs those years are also 4lug and not 5lug like they are today. your truck probably needs the ABS ring i think and the mustang one doesnt have that. the gears them selfs might work but in my opinion for what you are going to spend to get the gears installed you could get a 31 spline out of a explorer and have a way better setup for way cheaper. hope you project works out. if you need any more info let me know.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That is good info DRKSHADOW!

I agree that an Explorer axle would be the easiest swap (unless you were to find an 8.8" from a FX4 Lvl 2).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok that was my original plan but i just thought mabey the mustang would have some advantages, but ill keep looking thanks alot guys for the help

·
Registered
180 Posts
ya the upgrade that all the stangers do is get the 31 spline center out of an explorer and order the 31 spline axels that are the correct length. so even the stangers are looking for the exploder rears. lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just got started pullin both the Mustang and Explorer rears apart to do some parts comparisons, guess the axles for the Explorer are a bigger diameter and nothing from the posi mustang rear inter matches due to the spline differences. Explorer rear is definitely a stronger and wider unit and will be trying to get the spring perches welded on soon. Does this mean that i'd be able to put on 12" wide slicks just for racing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts