Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission has been shifting rough lately. I have not changed the transmission fluid yet and it is dirty. It is not slipping but it shifts like it has a shift kit in it. I am afraid to change the fluid and filter. I have heard that sometimes if you change the fluid and filter it can make the transmission worse and cause it to fail completely. Is this true?. The fluid that is in there only has about 38 thousand miles on it. But i assume it has the original filter and the truck has 133900 miles on it as of current.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have heard the same but I don't put much stock in it. My thoughts are the trans is near failing anyway so a trans fluid change won't hurt it any worse. Rather than change the fluid just start saving for a new tranny.
What trans do you have? The trans I know [older stuff] have a vacuum operated valve [vacuum modulator] on the outside and if the vacuum line is cracked or come off it can get your symptoms.
Good luck,

Richard

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 5r55 1997 i am just going to drive it till it goes out and in the mean time start saving up for a new truck. Really like this ranger but its just getting to old and beat up. I want to buy another ranger after this one's done as my daily driver. Still want to stick with the 4.0 engine and 4x4 i have plans for the current ranger. I plan on bringing it up to my property and use it as a yard mule hauling around wood and what not. The truck still runs like a top maybe the hard shifting could be nothing it doesn't do it all the time just once in a while. Another really strange thing i have noticed with this truck is it doesn't like to be babied. I have to run it through the gears at full throttle once a week otherwise it starts to shift rougher but after i run it through the gears it shifts like butter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could it possibly be my transmission control solenoid going bad?. I'm sure having dirty fluid doesn't help it at all but i might just stick some $ into this transmission and see if i can save it yet.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yea, I'd probably try a fluid and filter change myself too.
I've never used this site but in my research it stuck out to me and I have it saved. It may be good for info or parts if you decide to rebuild or you can buy fully rebuilt. trans.
http://www.transmissioncenter.org/a4ld.htm
Good luck,

Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts