Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 4wd w/ 5 spd and its making noises like mainshaft bearings .. noise while in neutral with foot off clutch.. 4 gr especiallly has been noisy when engaged and yesterday when coming to as stop it wouldnt come out of 4 th and was grinding while i was trying to go into neutral.. so i pulled over and out of desperation i switched the tcase into hi and then low range while coaxing the truck along at 1 mph .. heard a bang then shifter went fwd and i was able to get off the side of the road and drive to my shop (5 mi) without using 4th for fear of a repeat the rest of the day... next morning i accidently shifted into 4th lol and thankfully its been doing today while the noise comes and goes.. i imagine somethin g has let go with the 4th driven or drive setup... can i fix this tranny myself?... im not fond of hoping a used replacement will be better than my original... ive rebiult air cooled VW transmissions for a living 25 years ago.. special tools ?... any advice is appreciated 3.0 175k miles

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
i see your not new to cars but i have to ask did you check the fluid and are you sure the clutch is good and also bled right

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes the fluid level is good and the clutch has no air... this is definitely in the gear cluster itself.. im looking for somone who has been into these transmissions but i can see im probably just gonna have to go for it myself and take my chances.. i see a rebuild kit is 300$ syncros and bearings and seals.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
the price is not to bad and the sticks are alot more forgiving than autos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts