Ford Ranger Forums banner

Replace automatic or swap in a manual

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys would do in my case. I have a 96 Ranger that the trans is going out on it and I am debating whether to put in another automatic or a manual. With the manual though, I could get all the linkage, slave cylinder, trans, pretty much everything for extremely cheap if not free. The problem is that it would come out out of a 93 Explorer that has 270,000 miles on it so I don't know what kind of condition the internals are in the manual. The only thing that is really pushing me away from the manual is downtime. It would take a lot longer to get the manual operational and the auto I could have swapped in a probably a day. And I love manuals a 100 times more than autos. I really can't stand autos.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
well, I'm gonna say go auto because I thought of doing this once and it seemed like a TON of work... not to mention I had to make sure I had all the parts necessary... figured it would be easier and cheaper just to replace the auto...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I've gone manual to auto but not the other. The only problem I can't foresee is if the clutch pedal will fit in the aluminum whatchamacallit up under the dash. Some one else can clarify that, I hope. Might be a pain changing that out.If the clutch pedal isn't a problem, then I'd get the manual tranny freshened, new clutch kit AND slave cylinder [probably cheaper than the auto] all ready to go. Should also only take a day to install. Also check the length of the trannys for cross member/tranny mount fitment and drive shaft length.
Good luck,and keep us updated.
Richard

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could get the whole pedal assembly and everything out of the Exploder. The only thing I would need is a manual PCM. I was kind of thinking about just running the manual and everything out of the Explorer for the time being and later on replace the other stuff. I really don't have that much extra money right now. The owner of the explorer says that the trans shifts and drives fine in first and second gear. He just hasn't had it on the road in a couple years and it doesn't run on its own right now with out starting fluid down the throttle body. I should really just price everything out for both options and see how much it would run both ways.

I'm just waiting for Plum to respond on the fitment issues and interchangeability. I'm sure he knows what fits with what.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the trans can hold up through the summer, I will probably end up putting a manual in it. If it takes a **** during the summer, it will probably get another auto just because it will be quicker. I would also like to put the 5-speed auto in it if I do the auto. I've been doing some research and I think it will work if I get another computer. As far as I can tell from service info, the wiring harness connector on them seems to be the same. I just got to find the lengths of the 2 different trans and figure out if I would need new drive shafts. But if I can get to the fall, I will be able to bum rides easier and I will have a motorcycle to ride by then as well too and can take more time to swap in the manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts