Ford Ranger Forums banner

which is best for offroading

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you think? auto is nice for those tight spots like crawling rocks where you dont always have to be riding the clutch, but i like manual for just the feeling of being in control of the gears and everything idk lol. ive had manuals before and the 87 ranger 4x4 im getting is an auto and its the shitty auto on the floor. i was thinking abuot changing to manual but im not sure if i wanna tackle installing a clutch pedal and everything. but ill probably end up doing it just to know abuot it.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That's a tough one man... I'm gonna have to go auto on this one. The type of riding I do, like you said, I dont want to have to ride the clutch all the time. I like just being able to let off the brake and roll slowly...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I don't know I have had a manual my whole life so I have never off roaded with an auto. So for sure my pick would be a manual.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol thanks guyss

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gerald1488 said:
No problem buddy 8)
im not gonna screw with it at all unless i can find an m50d, also i want to make my own custom shifter for a manual lol I want to make one tractor-trailer style cause i always remember loving how my dads tractor trailer had the Eaton 18spd and hwo the shifter leaned over next to the seat i loved that so i wanna make one that style and i know ill probably have to make a tcase shifter cause it will probably be in the way but i know ill love it when its done

·
Registered
559 Posts
I made my own shifter once. It was annoying as hell. The factory shifter (on a M5OD and TK atleast) have a rubber noise/ vibration dampener built in. If you make your own and it is solid, then it will be noisy (a lot worse than you would imagine) and it doesnt feel like it shifts as smooth.

-PlumCrazy

·
Registered
712 Posts
auto ive wheeled both and auto is a ton better especially when your on the rock's and in the mud

·
Registered
984 Posts
strait hill climbing auto >:? i did a shifter once also , and it sucked . did a ratfink look a like . it was like shifting with a wet noodle.. in my life i found that shifter mods are best left to b&m

1 - 10 of 10 Posts