Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a site
edit; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?s=e649a8df3ae688d9872a757f4e5871e1&t=90824
that showed how to reverse spring eyes, and the way that is done is to bend the springs so the arc is reversed. I figured that if you can bend the spring backwards, then you could also bend the spring MORE than stock. I've done that on one spring so it matches some others I have that I'm using for another project. It wasn't hard, I used a 12 ton hydraulic press that's worth ~C$120.00 at P.A.
Some pics so you get a better idea of what I'm talking about;

I put in the reverse bends that you can see ~ 6" in from the ends

I moved the spring about an inch each time and used about 4 strokes of the jack handle after first contact.

original curve

half done

finished

I moved the spring about an inch each time and used about 4 strokes of the jack handle after first contact.

It works as proof of concept. I have heard that they won't last as long as factory lift springs and that makes sense but its cheap. I'll be trying this on my b-II when I get a chance.
Oh, and be very careful!! I broke the first spring I tried this on and wacked a finger pretty bad. :'(

After that I made sure that my hands were not in line with the direction the spring would go if it breaks. That was simple, I just moved the jack handle over a few inches :rolleyes:
edit; online info suggests that you should NOT bend more than the radius of 25 times the thickness of the spring.

Richard

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is just proof of concept. These springs are being used for something else. I'll start a new thread.

Richard

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
i have seen this done a few times on lots of different off road and street rides

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts