Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look what I got. . . Enough Royal Purple Synchromax to fill the tranny and tcase.

I will be sure to let everyone know how it works out. So far I have run regular ATF, synthetic ATF, and now I am going with the RP synchromax. The only thing I havnt ran is the 0w-30 motor oil.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I got some RP for my rear end also. Once I get my new diff cover powder coated im gonna put my fluid in.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
So what's with the different fluids, give me the theories please.
Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The M50D is a manual trans that requires a thin oil like Mercon III ATF. It requires the thin oil because it uses tiny needle bearings all over and thick oil will starve them. The M50D also has soft synchros that will burn up real fast with the wrong oil. Synthetic ATF isnt affected by changes in temperatures like conventional. Since a manual trans doenst pressurize the oil like an auto, it takes longer to warm up to oil, which means the oil is really thick so it starves bearings and synchros when its cold. Thats why synthetic is the way to go. It doesnt thicken up as much when its cold, so the bearings get oil with the proper viscosity right at start up. Although ATF is thin enough to get into the bearings it wasnt designed to be in a gear box (like the M50D) it was designed to be a hydraulic fluid. 0w-30 is a full synthetic motor oil that has a viscosity very similar to Mercon III, but it has much better lubricating properties. Synchromax is a full synthetic trans fluid made for manual transmissions have soft metal sychros and that ATF or motor oil.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Indeed, thanks, that helped a lot.
Richard

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I honestly dont notice that much of a difference. I think my 1st gear synchro is worn and causing me issues. The next time I have the trans out I will be pull it apart. I need to drop the trans to replace my rear main soon anyway. I have my old 2wd back again, so I can tear into the 95 soon and get some work done. I want to swap the 6 gear planetry from my electric tcase into my manual case. I hear they are a little smoother driving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts