Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I've been looking around just to give myself some idea of what I wanna go with when it comes time for tires, and when it does I'm gonna change out my wheels as well.

so i've been looking at these General Grabber 31x10.5x15 (i'm not lifting my truck)
and putting them on these black rock wheels

I want a nice aggressive look but keep the stock suspension, and aggressive tread on my tires, but I need them to last I have a lot of interstate traveling to get to work everyday. Here's a pic of the truck so you can get the big picture

what do you know about general grabber? how do they perform onroad and off? and how do you think the wheel/tire combo will look on the truck?

·
Registered
211 Posts
THat is a good choice. I think you should go with my setup on that level II. THe polished aluminum would look sick on it. plus i think black wheels look better on a lifted truck. You're like me and dont want to lift it. Plus if you do and you have twin sticks, you have to lose the special shift bezel.

I have the 31x10.50 BFGs on Pacer 164 15x8, 3.75 BS wheels. these are the same exact thing as a MT Classic II. As you can see, they make the red pop on our trucks

as far as the grabbers go, ive heard good things about them, but I dont think anything is better than the BFG

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
man those do look awesome on that truck!! they look a lot better than I thought they would. Can I see the truck from the front view as well? I was wanting the tires to stick out some on the side just to give it more of that sporty look, and it looks like you've accomplished that with your truck.

yeah those bfgoodrich tires are what came on the truck I dont really remember much about them but they are apparently the same price at summit as the general grabber. I was just want an aggressive tire that will last and i those those bfgoodrich's will if you treat them nice. I may have to seriously look into that, your truck looks sick!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you dont have anything nice to say don't say anything at all :'(

·
Registered
211 Posts
Red said:
it's only a fx4 not a level II dixie lol
No its technically a level II. They didnt say Level II until 03 like yours. the 01 and 02 FX4 offroad is the exact same thing as an 03 Level II. Only diference is the fx4 sticker. It still has the torsen and all.

Unless he bought the front tow hooks and alcoas and put them on an fx4, then it is a level II. just a little info :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think in red demon's mind his truck is the only Level II ever made..EVER. I dont care if mines a level II or not I know what it can do ;D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

i have these, daytona radial stags in 33x12.50 and they are awesome. i burned em off a nice bit and the wear is unnoticable, and does really well in mud

·
Registered
211 Posts
TheBigElmo said:
i think in red demon's mind his truck is the only Level II ever made..EVER. I dont care if mines a level II or not I know what it can do ;D
Well rest assured, yours IS a Level II regardless of what Plumcrazy or Charles says...lol. What is my truck not a 4 wheel drive if I take the 4x4 sticker off of the back? Its the same concept. Im gonna say that you have:

Alcoas (i can see them)
Stainless tow hooks (I can see them)
Black exterior plastic
Black interior
twin sticks if is a manual
stone pattern seats
black carpet or vinyl
black headliner.

All of these are Level II options. your just dont ahve the damn sticker that says "level II". thats it!

this is an 02 fx4:

as you can see, they come with 5 sdpokes and grtey plastic and none of the above features.

sorry to thread jack, but it just itched my verves on the LII thingy. lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah the interior is ALL black, black carpet, black headliner, black seats, and black dash everything. I've heard several things about these Alcoa's that you're talking about. whats the hype with those? and if I got new wheels do you think I could sell them for a good price, or would I be better off keeping them as a "just incase"

·
Registered
583 Posts
dixie_boysles said:
Red said:
it's only a fx4 not a level II dixie lol
No its technically a level II. They didnt say Level II until 03 like yours. the 01 and 02 FX4 offroad is the exact same thing as an 03 Level II. Only diference is the fx4 sticker. It still has the torsen and all.

Unless he bought the front tow hooks and alcoas and put them on an fx4, then it is a level II. just a little info :)
I was going to say the exact same thing as well. lol.

and if I got new wheels do you think I could sell them for a good price, or would I be better off keeping them as a "just incase"
Yes you will be able to sell them for a stupid outrageous price because for some reason everyone goes crazy over them for some reason even though they are factory wheels that are too narrow to actually look good, and don't have too much backspacing. Just try selling them on the other ranger forums because not a lot of stuff on here gets bought and sold quickly.

But I like those wheels that you posted. I think I am going to have to investigate those. Except I am too cheap to buy brand new wheels when I can get slightly used good condition ones for half the cost.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Yeah, you'll get a pretty penny for those Alcoas... I personally like the look of the 5-spoke FX4 wheels better though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
TheBigElmo said:
yeah the interior is ALL black, black carpet, black headliner, black seats, and black dash everything. I've heard several things about these Alcoa's that you're talking about. whats the hype with those? and if I got new wheels do you think I could sell them for a good price, or would I be better off keeping them as a "just incase"
Like I said, you have a Level II because of everything you just said. THey just re-named the package from FX4 Offoad to FX4 Level II in 2003.

As far as the Alcoas go, they hype is that they ONLY come on the Level II Ranger. THey came in the brushed aluminum finish that you have from 01-05. In 06, they change the finish to two different finishes---polished or DSG (dark shadow gray painted). I just sold a set I had for 420 shipped and mine were in excellent shape other than a few knicks here and there. ALso mine had no oxidation. Id sell them and use the money for either wheels or tires that way you only have to fork out one of the bills.

I dont know how familiar you are with Rangers, but have you ever looked up a level II or know what the newr ones look like? THey are sick!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah those black rocks are pretty freaking sick. but at the same time I really like the way those pacers looked on that truck. I'm in a catch now...damn it!

is there a particular reason people like them so much? and what suggested price would you go for? they are in mint condition, no scratches or dents.

·
Registered
211 Posts
TheBigElmo said:
yeah those black rocks are pretty freaking sick. but at the same time I really like the way those pacers looked on that truck. I'm in a catch now...damn it!

is there a particular reason people like them so much? and what suggested price would you go for? they are in mint condition, no scratches or dents.
Its just the look of them I guess and the fact that they only come on Top-of-the-Line Rangers. You ever priced a set at Ford? They will run you $2600, yes you read that right, and the centercaps alone are $80 a piece----yes they are expensive if you try to buy them outright from Ford. I would say fior you, a good starting point would be $450 plus shipping if they need shipping. Shipping will run $60-$80 btw. Cost me $60 to ship from NC to Wisconsin. So IMO, make a thread posting good detailed pics of them, inluding centercaps and ask $450-500 for them as a starting point. I would not go any lower then $400 for the wheels if they are in the shape you say they are

As far as new wheels go, like I said, ye the black wheels are SICK, but Im gonna say they are painted steel which are HEAVY, whcich can hurt gas mileage and are a PIA to rotate and take off if you have to. My aluminum wheels are like 18 lbs. plus aluminum DOES NOT rust like those steel wheels will if you knick the paint on them. Aluminum does oxidize, but the good thing about it is you can take fine grit sandpaper and polish and make them look like new again like this guy did:

http://www.ranger-forums.com/f43/how-polish-heavily-oxidized-pitted-aluminum-wheels-104561/

So my vote goes for the Pacer 164 Polished Aluminum wheel in a 15x8 w/ 3.75 backspacing. IMO, I like the Pacer better because it has a better centercap then those stupid chromeplated steel ones the Mickey Thompsons get. The pacer ones are plastic and will not rust.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jesus! thats out of control! they look pretty decent but they are so far into the truck..they wont even let me get the truck muddy when we go. those wheels flinging mud is just out of the question. $2600 is freaking out of control!!

I'm honestly leaning more towards the pacers, I like the look better of them and you're right it does make the red paint pop some more.

anyone else have any tire/wheel suggestions?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts