Ford Ranger Forums banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
so is there anyone out there that has cranked their truck instead of a lift kit and had any issues at all? any wires have to be extended or anything i should know? i know it need an alignment..but any possible long term damage or anythin go wrong eventually? i wish there was somone outhere like a mechanic that has done so many he can do it in his sleep to let me know the pros and cons about all my options..a lil higher stance wud be great, an lift wud be better but heard some bad things about it..i had more than one mechanic tell me that the rangers arent really meant to be lifted..that put a damper on my life..went to sears and looked at the grabbers at2's also..might be the next tire..i might crank her..ill have a garage do it of course..i want to utilize my " oh [email protected]" handles when i get up in my truck..that wud be awsome

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Well, cranking the torsion bars (I've heard!) will shorten the life span of the suspension overall. It supposedly puts more strain on the bars and the front suspension components.

I cranked the bars in my old 02 F150 and drove it for 2 years with NO problems and then sold it. My thought has always been this:

If you weren't supposed to do crank them, or adjust them, then why did Ford even put them on the truck?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
i have been working on cars all my life bro and there is ppl on this site that have been working on cars twice as long as i have we are mechanics. now what i have seen from the t bar cracking (not just fords other brands have t bars like toyota and chevy) is you shorten your suspension travel cuz the bump stops sit closer when you crank it is it safe to do yes over time with it put more stress on your suspension that depends. if you just crank it an inch or two and not beat up on the truck you should be fine for sure. but if you beat up on your truck yes if you off road the hell out of it yes it will mess it up so just do the lift crack them bolts and treat your truck right you will be fine

·
Registered
984 Posts
x2 on that^.keep an eye on the upper ball joints. i wheel with a few t bar trucks and the upper ball joints and the idler arm in the steering link seams to be the parts that like to go south. i have no experance with tbars, just what i have seen on the trails.

·
Registered
711 Posts
you should be fine if you go with 2" body. no extending of anything is needed. if you go more you may need to extend some stuff like brake lines, trans shifter and steering shaft. i say crank your bars an inch or two. get a 3" block for the rear, do a 2" body lift, get some 33's, and an alignment and you are good to go. 8)

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I'd agree with Rico's suggestion, but with one change (for my personal tastes). Leave the 2" block in the rear so that the truck will sit level after cranking the torsion bars.

If you want 31's, you need just a simple torsion bar crank and alignment.
If you want 33's, you need just a simple torsion bar crank, 2" or 3" body lift, and an alignment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
cool..sounds good..i def dont want to get into a lift because i went a place that does lifts and also spoke with another garage and they really talked me outta doin the lift..they say its not really meant to be lifted, and i dont want to have to extend anything..but crankin seems like the way to go, there are no good 255 70 r16 chunky tires out there without goin above 800 bones..i think i might goin bout 1.5-2 inch crank..no blocks..thank guys..anyone have a 09 black ranger done up so i can see what my truck would look like if i was rich??

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
wow we already went over this no vehicle was designed to be lifted its called custom over half of us in here has lifted rangers and there millions of lifted rangers i want the number to the shop you called.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
the place is on state street schenectady ny 518) 347-3800 its called captial district truck center..they said they could do the 2.5 inch leveling kit but in the long run these trucks werent meant for it..im not lyin..this is why i have so many questions, im not sure what to really do..everytime i see a lifted truck i iwsh mine was like that..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
does anyone have a pic of what their truck looks like with a leveling kit on it without bigger tires? i wanna see what it actually looks like

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
bro i understand how it is when you just get into the ranger scene i was there onces hell every single person on this site has been there at least once lol. however there are tons of people giving bad information out there and capital district truck center is one of them. you asked us what to do for a lift kit we will tell you the truth.

we have givin you very good information so far and will always do so i love rangers bro. with all this being said i will do every thing i can to keep other rangers on the road for the long hall.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
He probably said Rangers weren't for lifting because he's a probably a big fan of fullsize trucks. Most of those guys think lifting a Ranger of S10 is ridiculous, but they don't look at it from our side.

What other truck(s) will drive down a trail without hitting every tree branch?

Wouldn't a fullsize sometimes be a disadvantage in the mud since it weighs more? I've had my truck stuck ONCE and it was my fault.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
lol if your truck ever gets stuck it would be your fault no matter the reason lol. unless it snowed around your truck thats different lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
alright, cool thanks bro..your right i get all kinds of answers from ppl..i should really listen to the ppl who have been there like you guys..i cant ppl not wantin to mess wit smaller trucks, but for us thats all we can do..im doin it..im puttin a levelin kit in..i dont think i can do a suspension lift, i think that might get too pricey..2.5 leveling kit will work right? no extending the wires? im not gonna out anythin in the back she already a lil hight in the rear..lemmie know what ya think..thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
im not sure they make a level kit for your truck. if it has two bars running from the front suspension its car t-bar or torsion bar suspension and the only way to lift that with out changing the whole front suspensions is to turn the bolts under the truck at the other end of the t-bar. it would really help if you got us two pics one of the under side behind the front wheel and also one right by your front shocks. also the body lift is the best bag for your buck less then 300 bucks and 3 inches of lift it comes with every thing needed in the kit no if ands or butts no cutting wires no extending wires just pulll some bolts extend the gas filler and radiator brackets (comes with the kit also) and bolt it all back together

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
have yo heard of the ready lift kits? it says 2.25 inches..i dont know..which one are you talking about? i want to look into that also..do you think the ready lift level kits is a good idea? that runs 5 bones installed and alignment he said..

21 - 40 of 87 Posts