Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a new ranger last year..09 xlt v6. i wanna lift it a little bit and dont reallt know hot to go about it..id rather do it the right way..i heard about blocks?? and also of course kits..but i see they are like $1600 or so? is there anthing cheaper but solid..i have 255 70 r16 right now and wanna get a meatly tire also..any ideas??

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I don't know newer trucks. But, there is two basic types of lifts; a body lift and a suspension lift.
A body lift is usually cheaper than a susp. lift and will not change how the truck handles. I haven't priced one out but I'm thinking ~$300.00. Depending how handy you are, you can make your own...Probably ~$50-100.00 for 2-3". A body lift will get bigger tires under your truck, but again, I can't say how big you can go as I've not done it.
On the older trucks a susp. lift was ~$500.00. From what I've read, The newer trucks can be lifted in the front up to 2" by cranking the torsion bars...$0.00. Coil spring suspension I'm not sure, washers? More than 2" is, like you say, big money. Some of the other guys are quite a bit more knowledgeable than me, and should have some input soon.
Good luck,

Richard

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Is your truck 2wd or 4wd? It will help us determine which lift is for you!

But what AlwaysFlOoRD said was spot on!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
body lift is cheap and easy i would not make one unless you have alot of exp with this and the fact that your asking use makes me think you should just buy one.. and the biggest you can go is 3" on the body lift

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive got a 4x4..i read in here somewhere that cranking your suspension was bad? is the true?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Yeah, cranking too much puts a lot of strain on your suspension. Give it about three turns and you should be good. You will need to get an alignment afterwards.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i talked to a company that does this and he talked about ready lift..anyone have that? also federal tires? they look aggressive.. i was thinkin more of the general grabbers at2?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
i love the way the grabbers look have not used either of them though and as far as ready lift i think its just a coil spacer and you tell if your ranger is a torsion bar or coil spring suspension

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok..so i went to a place that does lifts, and he pretty much told me that rangers werent meant to be lifted..you might be gettin yourself into more money than you expect this and that..he said he would charge me 500 for the leveling kit and labor..the leveling kit only comes with the front two for my truck..is that usual? and is there anything that has to be extended anywhere in order to do a leveling kit? i dont know what to do now..i was federal m/t's and this guy just talked me outta my lift..he made it sound back for later down the road the the parts on my truck..what do i do?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If you just want to fit bigger tires, then what the shop said is correct. $500.00 for supply, install and alignment would be about right; $250.00 for kit, 2 hours install @ $100.00/hour = $200.00, alignment ~ $80.00
These prices are in Canada

Richard

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I think I know what you were going to say, and I probably agree. I do hunt and peck typing, so it's slow, and I forget what I started to say!
Anyway, yes ,there are lifts and right now I don't think Lando13 has given enough info on why and what he wants to do with his truck, for us to give a good answer.
Lando13, can you give us some insight into what you plan on doing with your truck? How much you can afford to spend, time wise and money wise?

Richard

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sure...first im looking to lift it like 2-3 inches because i love the way the trucks look lifted..second i want to put somthing like a 31 inch federal m/t on my truck..i have an 09 4x4 v6..ready lift does make a kit which isaw for around 250. i was going to buy that, the guy said id need somthing for the back as well that the ready kit doesnt come with. like the pic of the month, i have the same truck but black, and stock. i want my truck to look like that for the most part..

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
hell the back is easy a one inch block would work if your only doing 2-3 inches up front. but i think your truck already has a block in back you might have to pull that one out and get a 3" block autozone has the block you need if thats the case we just put it in my buddys lifted suburban awhile ago and its doing fine

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is my first truck ive never done this..im learnin as i go..do they have to extend anything on the truck, steering, cables,ect? i think the truck of the month sits perfect..i dont mind the 500 unless its goin to be a huge hassel later on..idk..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think i was would spend as much as 700..i wanna be able to do some off roading but im not the extreme off roader..i wanna beef up the stance a lil bit

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok..i was gonna call another garage tomm that used to do lowering on my cars..man i just want a lift and some tires, i didnt know i could be that difficult..i want it done before snow.. :-\

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you just want a better stance, you can do a body lift. I believe the kit is only like $250 and it won't be very hard to install. I also think it gives you clearance to run 33 inch tires.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts