Ford Ranger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I just purchased a 1996 Ranger XLT with 54,000 miles. It has a 4.0L V6 and I had read there were issues with this engine not getting oil distributed properly. There is a distinct tappet knock when I first start it. Does anyone know how much of a problem this is and if there is anything that can be done to get better distribution.

Also, the person I bought it from was a lady that only drove it when she needed to haul things like furniture and such. It looks like it was maintained reasonably well.

Last oil change was 08/12 and she only put 2000 miles on it since then. The Trans fluid looks clean but it seems to shift funny like upshifts too fast and bangs into gear when accelerating. I don't know if she did required maintenance intervals or not. For a large v6 it seems kind of gutless. I put sea foam in the tank and about a half pint in the crank case. I'm going to run it for about 500 miles and change the oil and filter.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. The last Ford truck I owned was a 82 Courier I bought new and sold in 92. It had a 2.3L 4cyl and was easy to work on. I really miss that truck.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
this is the second time I have seen this oil question come up, never heard it before would like to know more about it,and what years have this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it's a new sled to you make sure the oiler works... Knew a guy that bought a sled, fired it up, ran great.. took it out for a ride, burned his engine down 2 miles up the trail, was a bad day. I will generally mix a tank and run it if it's a new to me sled. Might run like crap but at least I know I wont burn up my engine, and if it hasn't been ran in a while will give it a chance to work any possible air bubbles out of the oil lines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts